YouTube Premium - Now available in India

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
YouTube Music launches Tuesday; YouTube Red will be replaced by YouTube Premium, which will cost more. - Recode

Next week, YouTube is launching YouTube Music — a revamped version of its existing music service that is functionally the same, but comes with extra bells and whistles like personalized playlists based on your YouTube history and other usage patterns.

That service, which is supposed to soft-launch on Tuesday, will cost $10 a month after a trial period. (That same service will eventually also replace Google Play Music, a rival music service Google has inexplicably operated at the same time it was trying to get YouTube Music off the ground.)

Now YouTube intends to charge $2 more for the other parts of YouTube Red, which will be renamed YouTube Premium — but will require you to also pay for YouTube Music.

More detail: YouTube Music’s $10 a month removes ads from music videos - but not the rest of YouTube. It also allows you to download music for offline listening, and to play music in the background while you do other things. YouTube Premium’s $12 a month removes ads from all of YouTube, like YouTube Red used to do.

xLpgQhy.png

Official YouTube Blog: YouTube Music, a new music streaming service, is coming soon

To extend the features of YouTube Music Premium beyond the music app, we’re soon introducing YouTube Premium, the new name for our YouTube Red subscription service. YouTube Premium includes ad-free, background and offline across all of YouTube, as well as access to all YouTube Originals including Cobra Kai, Step Up: High Water and Youth & Consequences. YouTube Premium will continue to provide an ad-free experience, background play, and downloads across the millions of videos on YouTube. But because it includes our brand new YouTube Music service, the price will be $11.99 for all new members.

With YouTube Premium, you can watch videos in 1080p Premium on Apple phones and tablets. This feature may be available on additional devices in the future.

1080p Premium is an enhanced bitrate version of 1080p. An enhanced bitrate provides more information per pixel, resulting in a higher quality viewing experience. Videos are only eligible for an enhanced bitrate if they were uploaded in 1080p. You won’t find the 1080p Premium option for:

Live Streams
Shorts
Videos uploaded at resolutions higher or lower than 1080p

To give you the best viewing experience, YouTube changes the quality of your video stream based on your viewing conditions. If you have a Premium membership, your resolution may automatically set to 1080p Premium. You can update your quality settings within the YouTube App.

I'd rather they bring a fixed quality setting mode. Where once the video quality is set; it'd never change regardless of conditions unless that one is not available then it should move to next highest.
Youtube on Desktop works that way; should not be difficult on mobile.

I think the dynamic video quality setting is used to optimize server bandwidth, especially since the majority of people watch YouTube on their mobile devices.

My ask was to have it as a "premium" feature... I am sure, there will be people willing to pay for a fixed-quality setting.

There is not much server bandwidth saved here either way... Videos on my phone if set to "prefer high"; load at 720p for the first 5-10 seconds and ramp-up to 4k. If it's on Auto then it starts with 360p.
I don't like that at all; there are already 3 quality options that could do with 1 more.

Can't find an answer for this so can someone confirm?

Is youtube allowing annual billing for any plan? Especially interested in the family plan for this.