Your opinions on the NEW DSLCombo 1249 (upto 2 MBPS/20 GB U+D) Plan please!!

• Thread starter Thread starter nevillek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,141

nevillek

Regular
ISP
MTNL Triband/Hathway
I have been a regular user of the DSL Unlimited 999 (1 MBPS) plan for a while, and for a change, I just requested a change to the NEW DSL Combo 1249 Plan which has the following specifics:Monthly charges: Rs. 1249/- (no Monthly CPE charges till 12/11/2011)Speed: Upto 2 MBPSData: 20 GB (Download+Upload*)

I have been a regular user of the DSL Unlimited 999 (1 MBPS) plan for a while, and for a change, I just requested a change to the NEW DSL Combo 1249 Plan which has the following specifics:

Monthly charges: Rs. 1249/- (no Monthly CPE charges till 12/11/2011)
Speed: Upto 2 MBPS
Data: 20 GB (Download+Upload*)

Can you explain why do you say that? I am getting double speed here, and the uploads are always like 30ish% of downloads, so 12-14 GB plus another 6-8 GB is more than enough according to me.

Can you explain why do you say that? I am getting double speed here, and the uploads are always like 30ish% of downloads, so 12-14 GB plus another 6-8 GB is more than enough according to me.

Hi,

Do you get that specified 2-4 mbps speed as claimed by them? And that too through the day is the speed consistent?

I am planing to take this plan. I have not used mtnl internet, been using hathway. But hathway has gone pathetic with their speeds. They reduce the speed in the afternoon everyday (between 12 pm to around 5pm.) I am using 5mbps plan, till around 12Pm in the afternoon the speed is good >4mbps, but then it starts fluctuating between 0.6Mbps - 1.2 Mbps till around 5 PM and then after that keeps fluctuating between 1.2 - 3 Mbps till around 8. And then goes pathetically slow. Moreover, every Saturday and Sunday, the speed is reduced to 256kbps after around 11:30Am and this remains the same till midnight.

I need consistent speed day and night for my work. Even if I get 2mbps I am ok but consistency is required. Does your plan give you 2mbps on USA servers?

Hi,

Do you get that specified 2-4 mbps speed as claimed by them? And that too through the day is the speed consistent?

I am planing to take this plan. I have not used mtnl internet, been using hathway. But hathway has gone pathetic with their speeds. They reduce the speed in the afternoon everyday (between 12 pm to around 5pm.) I am using 5mbps plan, till around 12Pm in the afternoon the speed is good >4mbps, but then it starts fluctuating between 0.6Mbps - 1.2 Mbps till around 5 PM and then after that keeps fluctuating between 1.2 - 3 Mbps till around 8. And then goes pathetically slow. Moreover, every Saturday and Sunday, the speed is reduced to 256kbps after around 11:30Am and this remains the same till midnight.

I need consistent speed day and night for my work. Even if I get 2mbps I am ok but consistency is required. Does your plan give you 2mbps on USA servers?

Yeah, MTNL's pretty good. All the plans I've taken so far provide the promised speeds. I don't remember if I ever got 4 MBPS in the 1249 plan but I definitely got 2 MBPS but the limit is 20 GB only. So, I shifted to the Express Combo Unlimited plan for Rs.1000/- which gives 2 MBPS speed too but 30 GB! Looking forward to the FTTH ones now!

The funny part is that I am planning to get Hathway for my second PC. But now I'm hearing from you that the speeds shrink that much? Do you know if that's the case for everyone in Mumbai? Didn't you complain to them? Even 1 MBPS is difficult to get or what? Most importantly, please tell me how often it disconnects and requires you to login? Thanks!

Yeah, MTNL's pretty good. All the plans I've taken so far provide the promised speeds. I don't remember if I ever got 4 MBPS in the 1249 plan but I definitely got 2 MBPS but the limit is 20 GB only. So, I shifted to the Express Combo Unlimited plan for Rs.1000/- which gives 2 MBPS speed too but 30 GB! Looking forward to the FTTH ones now!

The funny part is that I am planning to get Hathway for my second PC. But now I'm hearing from you that the speeds shrink that much? Do you know if that's the case for everyone in Mumbai? Didn't you complain to them? Even 1 MBPS is difficult to get or what? Most importantly, please tell me how often it disconnects and requires you to login? Thanks!

Thanks for your inputs regarding MTNL. I am also waiting for FTTH, however they say it is not yet active. They need atleast 10 members from my area to start it. They have not even laid the fibre optics cable. They will have to take permission from muncipality. So FTTH is still a very long story...!

The reason I was inclined to their fixed usage plan is that, I thought they will give consistent speed for fixed usage. Else why would anyone pay more for less data transfer limit?

Regarding hathway, I have been with them for more than 4yrs now. It used to work like a dream till June 2012. Since then it has become pathetic. Whether it is their SME plan (meant for business) or home user plan both work the same way. I had 2 connections with me. After 100s of complaints even sent to their nodal officers, I terminated my SME connection. It is not a techical problem that the speed goes down, but the problem is with their business ethics. They purposely reduce the speed to save on bandwidth. Their upload speed will remain consistent througout day and night, the issue is only with download speed. Till around 12 PM everything is fine, you generally get the promised speed on any server in the world. However, after 12, speed issue arises and that too every day. And every saturday and sunday the speed is reduced to around 256kbps so you get a d/l speed of 15-20Kb/s on a 5mbps connection...! No such thing is mentioned in they fair usage policy though.

I have checked with my friends, they also have the same issue. But if you are using the internet for emails, chat and other such things then it is ok. You may not even get affected, however if you do some serious work and that too on foreign servers then yes, you will face problems. No, hathway does not disconnet like MTNL. Actually the problem is with ADSL technology that mtnl uses that causes the frequent disconnections.