You Don't Own The Mini Dish

• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 7,262
I agree with hitman, consumers dont want to share it with anyone coz they think it is their property. So they ask for individual. Also , for multiple connections it is a different dish - based on an article i read some time ago. The multi connection dish is a larger one & can have upto 50 connections(not sure 50).

It is like wat happened at my place. I got two connections installed. Dad thought there will be two dishes. There was a lot of arguing with the Tata Sky tech guy who had come to install the connection.After a lot of convinving he agreed to having just one dish.His point was when i'm paying for 2 connection why just one dish ? 😛

QUOTE(baudhayan @ Jan 25 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]76802[/snapback]
I was present during the Tata Sky installation at my Sisters place. After the entire installation episode what I came to know from the Engineer was that when you shift your residence, you need to return your old dish to your distributor & have to procure a new dish & pay Rs. 1000 as installation charges at your new residence from a new distributor. The only equipment that you own is the Digicomp (the Set-top box) which is currently priced at Rs. 2999. Any comments on this ?[/b]
I was just thinking that I shall recommend Tata Sky installation for my parents but I do now think that this is not a very good option.

Just FYI, da standard Mini Dish which Tata Sky gives can only give 4 parallel connections. For connections >4 they give a larger dish which can be installed for the entire society.

I would just like to mention that I've used SKY abroad and when you request a new connection, you also own both the DigiBox and the Dish and standard installation is free. Here, you pay for the installation and don't even get the minidish.

This is a mook point. The economics of India and any other country are different. It's a little like comparing apples and oranges.

They may give you that stuff for free, but as in the States, the monthly rental is quite a bit (upwards of $39.99 a month - Directv and 15GBP for Sky).

I'm sure that Tata Sky will have no problem if you want to own the dish as long as you are willing to pay Rs. 1300+ as monthly charges.

Rentals in the US and UK are a pittance compared to the salaries there 😉 Rentals should be according to salary levels in India at the same terms and condition like one owns the minidish etc as in UK/US.If Tata Sky has to charge it should charge not more than Rs. 500 for reinstallation when one moves. Charging the same amount as the original installation sounds like making money.

LOL, this discussion will never end.And as far as owning the dish goes. Do i really care ? NO!Yeah i might care if i could make rotis on the dish 😛

QUOTE(inetbum @ Jan 31 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]77809[/snapback]
Rentals in the US and UK are a pittance compared to the salaries there 😉 Rentals should be according to salary levels in India at the same terms and condition like one owns the minidish etc as in UK/US.[/b]
Like I said - apples and oranges.

QUOTE(inetbum @ Jan 31 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]77809[/snapback]
If Tata Sky has to charge it should charge not more than Rs. 500 for reinstallation when one moves. Charging the same amount as the original installation sounds like making money.[/b]
GASP!!!! Those evil b*****ds!!!! They are trying to make money?!?!? Oh my god!! Call Michael Moore. i smell a conspiracy.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Jan 31 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]77917[/snapback]
Like I said - apples and oranges.
GASP!!!! Those evil b*****ds!!!! They are trying to make money?!?!? Oh my god!! Call Michael Moore. i smell a conspiracy.[/b]

buddy...da main advantage with owning ur dish is for flexibility purpose & to save on ur installation charges. Suppose u want 2 spend some time in ur remote farm house...say for few weeks & also plan to view all da satellite channels....then you could probably dismount your dish & fix it whereever u like it B)

the good thing is that if the DISH is damaged, maybe the company has to fix/repair it for free?owning hardwares like these are always a risky deal.

Can anybody say what is written in the agreement with Tata Sky about what has to be done in case of the dish being damaged due to rains etc. Whether we need to pay Rs.1000 & get a new one installed or is it their headache.Also, the modem of Hathway cable internet got damaged during rainy season due to high voltage & they replaced it without charge - Since I did not own it - no headache for me.