• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 7,263

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
I was present during the Tata Sky installation at my Sisters place. After the entire installation episode what I came to know from the Engineer was that when you shift your residence, you need to return your old dish to your distributor & have to procure a new dish & pay Rs. 1000 as installation charges at your new residence from a new distributor. The only equipment that you own is the Digicomp (the Set-top box) which is currently priced at Rs. 2999. Any comments on this ?

Yeah i guess wat you are saying is true, But what is the case with Zee DishTV ? Are they providing the dish and free re-location of connection ?

Not sure about the relocation charges. But in case of DishTV, even the STB belongs to them - the amount taken by them is for 5 years rental of the box

This is a non-issue as any halfway competent electricial would be able to install it at the new location for 50-100 bucks.

that is if u have the dish and the digicomp...if they take either of it back, u are again stuck with them...

I think this thread is just stupid.... B'coz if you move to a new locality.... u still have to pay installation charges to the cable operator, if u don't want to use ur DTH ? And getting the Dish installed by a electrician makes more sense. Don't inform Tata Sky of the change of address, how are they going to know ?

QUOTE(WiZaRd @ Jan 26 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]76928[/snapback]
I think this thread is just stupid.... B'coz if you move to a new locality.... u still have to pay installation charges to the cable operator, if u don't want to use ur DTH ? And getting the Dish installed by a electrician makes more sense. Don't inform Tata Sky of the change of address, how are they going to know ?[/b]

Read 1 of the posts which rightly says that if you don't intimate TATA Sky abt change of address they might terminate your connection if they come to know. Also someone has rightly said that by getting it done from an Electrician u might end up saving temporarily, but later on if u hv to contact TATA Sky for some major issue u compulsorily hv to intimate them abt ur address change & end up paying Rs. 1000.

QUOTE(WiZaRd @ Jan 26 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]76928[/snapback]
Don't inform Tata Sky of the change of address, how are they going to know ?[/b]
If you can still hol on to the older address for billing purposes i guess, but how many can do that.

As it stands You took out a contract with Tata Sky and if you dont like it then choose some one else.

Until then you are bound by whatever you signed for.

Sucks..i know..but maybe with more players entering the same space..things might improve.

Do you have to buy a new Dish when you shift houses or only the 1000 for installation?

Dish is not owned by u so u don't have to buy it... U just have to call Tata Sky for relocation of the dish and they will do it themself... Will cost u 1000 rs.

well, isn't it obvious that for Rs. 3000 you are not going to get a stb AND a dish?!? And what's the big deal? Paying Rs. 1,000 for relocation isn't that much... I mean how often do you relocate?!?!?

^^I totally agree with you.....Since they are not asking extra money for the dish, its pretty much obvious that u have no authority over it.....The dish need not be in your premises also....Since they are taking Rs.1000 for the installation, its their headache to get the signal......If there is any other dish nearby, they might even take the connection from there......In my uncle's place the dish was fixed for my uncle's TV in his balcony...when his neighour wanted a connection the engineers just took the connection from the existing dish....They did not bring in a new dish.......

hmmm, that's funny. The building next to us (a 4 floor apartment building), Has got 5 dishes!!! I was myself wondering why they wouldn't have just connected all the apartments with one dish. I thought that they probably allot a separate dish to each subscriber, but it seems froma couple of posts that that is not the case. hmmm...

Also, Tata Sky techs do some real crappy installations... so much for being better than the "local cable-wallah" - they do the same "taar kheech ke lago do yaar" installation... terrible. They should learn from Airtel.

Actually its not their fault to provide seperate dish to everyone in the same building... At the time of installation they ask the customer if they want to use a single dish for whole building or they want to get their seperate dish installed... most of customers cos of ignorance think tht y to share my dish with anyone (they also think dish will be their property 😉 ) and get the individual mindish installed at their balcony.... When Tata Sky guys did an installation at my place they were very professional and got the wire pinned up properly... May be now with demand shooting up they r lowering the service... which i think is sad...

hmmm, why would Tata Sky put five dishes up when they can get away with one? If the customers insist a lot, then maybe I can understand, but most people don't tend to be that assertive. If it doesn't harm the quality of signal and general functionality then why would anyone insist "nahin muche to apna hi dish chahiye hai"??