YOU Broadband's horrible routing causing high latency and slow speeds. (Pune)

• Thread starter Thread starter D@rekills4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 31,200
Well its been steady since i have taken the connection since Jan and i do have have friends in mumbai and bangalore using the same and havent complained about anything past few months, but sorry about my ignorance. My routing also goes through mumbai.
But lets hope it gets better in the near for North Eastern states. Btw do you have ipv6 configured.?(give it a try ), its being implemented on my place was taken back after lot of complaints on my region. its a mixed reaction some people say the sites take time while loading and few say its been okay.
My personal experience was bad when it was implemented.

@Ameen

AWS and Cloudflare both have data centres in Mumbai. Obviously South Indian users will have low ping to the servers.

IPv6 is not yet deployed in Meghalaya by BSNL. IPv6 will add latency if it's not properly configured by the ISP anyhow.

Have friends in Delhi having the same ping(as mine), Nothing with being in south. Guess the routing might be f**d up in north east. I'm not sure about ipv6 but its not a 300ms lag so if its better than ipv4 then we can give it a try.

Last edited:
Maximum speed during daytime (12 noon till 6 pm) hovers around 6 mbps for a 200 mbps connection. Anyone else facing this issue? Is it because many people are working from home?

Maximum speed during daytime (12 noon till 6 pm) hovers around 6 mbps for a 200 mbps connection. Anyone else facing this issue? Is it because many people are working from home?

Their network has been acting flaky for the past 2 days, ping times to Google DNS have increased from 5-6 ms to 30 ms. I raised a complaint/trouble ticket yesterday but no improvement yet. My pfSense box gives me the RTT (round trip time) and Standard Deviation for each WAN connection.

Mine has been shit since the last two weeks. On 200 MBPS plan I get 500 KB/s download speed on most sites. Less than 100 KB/s on others.

So the problems seem to predate the surge in work-from-home situations. Is there any background activity anyone knows of?

@MeanMachine the issue relates to packet drops/losses after their OLT. Can you do a trace route to Google DNS ie. 8.8.8.8? I'd like to compare. Anyway, I called them up again and the woman took down a complaint but when I used the IVR for a resolution date there was nothing. I think..and this is only suspicion on my part..that YBB's staff are on leave or WFH or possibly even laid off as they are Vodafone/VIL subsidiary.

PS - I called up the call centre and gave the guy at the other end a piece of my mind after he asked me if I had changed the password 😡 I told him I want to speak to a network engg and not him or some manager because they aren't technical enough to understand what I am saying. I asked him point blank - Given VIL's situation, is youbroadband shutting down? Have you laid off people? Why isn't a complaint taken seriously previous experience says they would resolve it in 2 days max. I was angry..and told him I have other BB connections and if this continues I will not renew my connection in May and prefer to go with Airtel and TSBB that offer unlimited data. Hopefully that makes these idiots see some sense. I also said I have no grief with the call centre people but with the NOC guys who seem to think every thing is normal 😡 Bloody ass*****!!

Last edited:
@MeanMachine the issue relates to packet drops/losses after their OLT. Can you do a trace route to Google DNS ie. 8.8.8.8? I'd like to compare. Anyway, I called them up again and the woman took down a complaint but when I used the IVR for a resolution date there was nothing. I think..and this is only suspicion on my part..that YBB's staff are on leave or WFH or possibly even laid off as they are Vodafone/VIL subsidiary.

PS - I called up the call centre and gave the guy at the other end a piece of my mind after he asked me if I had changed the password 😡 I told him I want to speak to a network engg and not him or some manager because they aren't technical enough to understand what I am saying. I asked him point blank - Given VIL's situation, is youbroadband shutting down? Have you laid off people? Why isn't a complaint taken seriously previous experience says they would resolve it in 2 days max. I was angry..and told him I have other BB connections and if this continues I will not renew my connection in May and prefer to go with Airtel and TSBB that offer unlimited data. Hopefully that makes these idiots see some sense. I also said I have no grief with the call centre people but with the NOC guys who seem to think every thing is normal 😡 Bloody ass*****!!

Screenshot_20200319-104016.webp

Speed fine at 10:40 AM, speed will drop to 2-3 Mbps after 12PM 😑

@MeanMachine if your timeout is at the very first hop then it's a problem. Better speak to You Broadband and contact them at customercare at youbroadband.co.in with the screenshots. Otherwise they wont take you seriously. The call centre is useless.

As per the latest status my speeds to their Mumbai server have gone up from 30 Mbps to >200 which it was previously. So obviously they have done something. However the trace route still times out at 1-2 intermediate hops to Google DNS. There are packet losses too. GRRRRRR!!!😡

PS - The latest trace route at 12:20 pm IST shows this:

1 100.69.0.1 1.358 ms 1.726 ms 1.235 ms
2 203.187.215.1 5.660 ms 6.898 ms 7.820 ms
3 203.187.215.78 3.522 ms 3.695 ms 3.996 ms
4 203.187.215.77 7.687 ms 5.962 ms 5.646 ms
5 203.187.215.58 8.152 ms 7.542 ms 7.416 ms
6 209.85.175.108 270.036 ms 265.241 ms 275.379 ms
7 108.170.248.161 65.454 ms
108.170.248.193 35.258 ms *
8 209.85.246.5 40.090 ms 40.419 ms
209.85.241.227 212.409 ms
9 8.8.8.8 196.465 ms 193.682 ms 196.560 ms

See the ping time going to a ridiculous 196.56 ms?!

Last edited: