YOU Broadband's horrible routing causing high latency and slow speeds. (Pune)

• Thread starter Thread starter D@rekills4
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 31,202
Their routing and internal network is horrible. They also fraud their customers by capping the speed to less than half. I got youbroadband 200Mbps plan recently in Bangalore and every few days when I check the speed, I notice that its capped to 90Mbps for no reason. I have to call the customer care and then its fixed in a couple minutes. This has happened 4 times this month. Also apart from this fraud, the connection frequently goes down. Its been about a month and a half since I got the connection and it has already been down more than 8 times. Did not expect this from Vodafone.

So called 50 Mbps shit unstable speed. Twitter never load above 3 Mbps.
City: Surat, Gujarat

GXzuKxd.webp

7AVZZqk.webp
IBnh6pf.webp

iqjUj1z.webp
g8wbRmm.webp
TE0mroE.webp
eHHUg6d.webp
xsJpB8b.webp
TMHHeVL.webp
JJJZrEt.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
These days my internet stops working frequently. 'Online' LED on the modem stays lit, but PPPoE gets disconnected. What might be wrong?

Is it supposed to be this bad or am I the only one facing this issue?

Code:
Tracing route to imgur.com [151.101.24.193]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    21 ms    76 ms    16 ms  100.69.0.1
  4    14 ms    12 ms     9 ms  pune-core01.youbroadband.in [203.187.215.1]
  5    46 ms    48 ms    51 ms  125.18.243.241
  6   173 ms   177 ms   168 ms  182.79.154.4
  7   174 ms   174 ms   182 ms  ldn-b4-link.telia.net [62.115.162.232]
  8   266 ms   262 ms   266 ms  ldn-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.134.134]
  9     *        *      262 ms  nyk-bb2-link.telia.net [62.115.113.20]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11   263 ms   263 ms   261 ms  las-b21-link.telia.net [62.115.137.39]
 12   273 ms   268 ms   265 ms  fastly-ic-307369-las-bb1.c.telia.net [213.248.82.150]
 13   282 ms   284 ms   282 ms  151.101.24.193

Trace complete.

Not on YOU Broadband but here is my traceroute:

Code:
                                                                                                                    Packets               Pings
Host                                                                                                             Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
1. 192.168.5.1                                                                                                    0.0%    17    0.2   0.3   0.2   1.1   0.2
2. 43.225.193.10                                                                                                  0.0%    16    0.4   1.4   0.4   3.4   0.8
3. ???
4. 14.143.30.85.static-delhi.vsnl.net.in                                                                          6.2%    16    2.0   2.6   1.4   4.6   1.1
5. 172.23.78.234                                                                                                  6.2%    16   28.0  31.3  27.5  59.5   8.3
6. ???
7. 115.114.85.237                                                                                                 6.2%    16   28.2  28.3  27.5  33.1   1.3
8. if-ae-2-2.tcore1.mlv-mumbai.as6453.net                                                                         0.0%    16  143.1 143.8 142.3 146.4   1.2
9. if-ae-5-6.tcore1.wyn-marseille.as6453.net                                                                      0.0%    16  154.1 154.4 150.6 195.9  11.1
10. if-ae-21-2.tcore1.pye-paris.as6453.net                                                                         0.0%    16  148.9 149.6 148.8 150.6   0.5
11. if-ae-11-2.tcore1.pvu-paris.as6453.net                                                                         0.0%    16  145.5 149.6 145.5 193.3  11.8
12. 80.231.153.66                                                                                                 93.3%    16  148.7 148.7 148.7 148.7   0.0
13. 4.69.153.133                                                                                                   0.0%    16  264.2 264.6 263.5 268.5   1.3
14. 4.53.230.114                                                                                                   0.0%    16  263.5 270.8 263.0 367.4  26.7
15. 151.101.24.193                                                                                                13.3%    16  269.9 272.7 269.4 303.2   9.2

For anyone out there looking for low latency connections, YOU Broadband is not a good choice (atleast in Pune where the routing is this horrible).

What's the point you're trying to make? Are you running some mission critical application?

The kind of bitching that goes on this forum about routing for a home broadband connection amazes me. You need to check the T&C of your contract carefully.

India to Singapore should be 35-120ms.
35-50 only for Chennai.
50-65 south India
65-120+ for whole north India.

Anything more than 120ms for Singapore from India on wired connection means something is fucked up.
I live in Chennai and this is on Jio. Whereas Airtel on Airtel it's 30-45ms.
MmcpiZe.png

What's the point you're trying to make? Are you running some mission critical application?

The kind of bitching that goes on this forum about routing for a home broadband connection amazes me. You need to check the T&C of your contract carefully.

I am not a cuck and want my money's worth.

I used to play a lot of games, the video game industry is now larger than film and music industry.

Online video games require low latency.

After I come home after a long day at work, I want atleast 1 hour of lag free game play before I head to bed.

Are you suggesting everyone interesting in online gaming should pay ₹150000 per year(YOU Broadband's leased line price) and get a leased line into their homes.

I live in Chennai and this is on Jio. Whereas Airtel on Airtel it's 30-45ms.
MmcpiZe.png

SpeedTest's over wireless, especially LTE are not reliable for latency testing. Too many factors that can cause varying.

@D@rekills4 "Money's worth" is an undefined term. If you believe you're going to get performant home broadband connections with optimal routing in order to satisfy your gaming requirements you're going to continue to be disappointed.

I too have a 200 Mbps broadband connection from YBB and have been with them since 2015. It works perfectly fine with streaming even from US based streaming services even via a VPN. YBB gives me nearly 300 Mbps in lieu of the contracted 200 Mbps speeds, a gesture common with many ISPs including Airtel and Tata Sky BB..both of which I also have.

And yeah ISPs changing routing tables at their whim based on their internal parameters, not because of a customer. At best call up their support and request them to change their routing and if you don't get a solution consider moving to another ISP. As much as you or I may love gaming online, nobody other than a select few enthusiasts in this country (as a %age of total users) bother and ISPs cater to the majority, not minority of home BB users.

Last edited:

First of all, do you not understand how online gaming works?

Second of all, how exactly do you expect smooth online gaming if the routing is sub-par?

Third of all, many of us are streamers who earn income from online gaming and/or participate in competitive online gaming as a source of income.

Fourth of all, not all Indian ISPs have bad routing. I was Bangalore for a week and had access to ACT Fibernet. I managed to get 50ms on Singaporean AWS servers. This is the official maximum latency recommend by Epic Games.

If ACT Fibernet in Bangalore can managed decent routing on shared bandwidth. Why can't other ISPs including BSNL achieve the same damn thing?

@Dark_Nate trust me I've been playing games offline and online long enough and have also worked in the ISP/telecom biz starting decades ago the last being executing large projects for a European telco.

So the point is not about the process of gaming and how it is set up but how your ISP carries the data to the remote server of which there are several hundreds from different organisations. You cannot expect any ISP to give you perfect routing to a particular remote server unless you enter into an SLA level agreement. That's all I am saying. From what I have experienced ACT may be incidentally good in your area just as YBB is good in mine.

@Dark_Nate trust me I've been playing games offline and online long enough and have also worked in the ISP/telecom biz starting decades ago the last being executing large projects for a European telco.

So the point is not about the process of gaming and how it is set up but how your ISP carries the data to the remote server of which there are several hundreds from different organisations. You cannot expect any ISP to give you perfect routing to a particular remote server unless you enter into an SLA level agreement. That's all I am saying. From what I have experienced ACT may be incidentally good in your area just as YBB is good in mine.

Long story short.

WE know, perfect routing is next to impossible for millions of users.

We expect DECENT not perfect routing.

All major online games are hosted on AWS. AWS Middle East for online games is hosted in Mumbai and Bahrain.

Can you explain to us, what's so hard for every Indian ISP from North, East, West, Central and Northeast India to achieve DECENT latency to Mumbai servers?

If you worked with European telcos, you must have seen how small countries like Latvia, can achieve decent latency to Singaporean servers but not India. And approximately 200ms to Mumbai AWS.

I'm located in Meghalaya and ping to Mumbai AWS is 300ms+ on BSNL FTTH.

@Dark_Nate

Long story short. WE know, perfect routing is next to impossible for millions of users. We expect DECENT not perfect routing.

And that's what I have been trying to say all along! Believe it or not the gaming community does NOT make the world go round for large Telecommunication Cos. Corporates accounts do! "DECENT" routing speeds is once again a loose term.

All major online games are hosted on AWS. AWS Middle East for online games is hosted in Mumbai and Bahrain. Can you explain to us, what's so hard for every Indian ISP from North, East, West, Central and Northeast India to achieve DECENT latency to Mumbai servers?

That is a question that only they can answer but it all depends on the costs, ISP backbone, their tie ups with different providers among several others. Latency and lag has been the bane of the internet since the beginning. Some of it due to last mile connectivity issues and some because of the ISPs NOC and backbone network. It differs from case to case

If you worked with European telcos, you must have seen how small countries like Latvia, can achieve decent latency to Singaporean servers but not India.

Dude, Latvia is the size of a postage stamp compared to India with its BILLIONS of users including over mobile and wireless internet, fiber, DSL among others. There's no comparison. Fact is India's bandwidth availability compared to it's size and population is low.

I have seen trouble tickets for fiber broadband in Europe back when the fastest available speed in India was a measly 16 Mbps over ADSL. But it was a massive improvement in performance over the then prevalent ADSL or at best VDSL connection even in Western EU.

So, most people have something to whine about their internet connectivity just like we all do with mobile cos whether Jio or Airtel etc. Now believe me when I tell you a home broadband user gets no SLAs and no guarantees of up time or latency. All ISPs do is tell the customer "you will get x amount of data at y speed" but no guarantees of performance or uptime. I would seriously encourage you to read the CAF and/or the contract form which we all fill up when opting for the connection. 🙂

I'm located in Meghalaya and ping to Mumbai AWS is 300ms+ on BSNL FTTH.

I get a 5-6 ms ping to AWS's Mumbai servers.

Now for the fine print with my 3 ISPs:

Tata Sky Broadband - Subscription Contract

I quote:

Interruption of Services, blocking of internet. Company shall use reasonable endeavours to maintain the maximum possible uptime of the Services, as mandated under law, however, the Company cannot guarantee that the Services will be fault free without any interruption, disruption or downtime. Company may suspend the Services: (i) in order to carry out maintenance or testing; (ii) to safeguard the security and integrity of the Services or for technical purposes; or (iii) if so directed by the government. Company may, from time to time, block internet sites and/or any individual Subscriber, as identified and directed by an enforcement agency, including DoT. Company shall not be liable to refund any amounts to the Subscriber nor compensate the Subscriber for any such disruption of Services, internet downtime or for any of the above reasons.

You Broadband - YOU Broadband - Terms & Conditions

See Pt # 24

e Company will endeavour at all times to maintain an adequate and reasonable quality of the Service. However the availability and quality of service may be affected by factors outside the Company's control such as physical obstructions, geographic weather conditions and other causes of electronic/electrical interference or faults in other telecommunication networks or availability of poles to which the Network is connected or on which network is built-up and shall not be liable for any consequences arising thereof including but not limited to damage to customer's PC or any other input or output devices of any types of kind connected to it or any other property. Also, the Company makes no representation or warranties as to the continuity or availability or quality of the Services. The company shall not be obliged to grant any service credit for disruption of services due to any reason outside its control.

Airtel broadband - Airtel T&C

See pt 10

10. Airtel makes no warranties or representations whatsoever in respect of the benefit and the broadband services including as to its fitness for any particular purpose, merchantability, quality, availability, disruption or error free operation.

Net, net - there's nothing any subscriber can do. Except possibly change to another one. Save your breath. 🙂

Cheers!

Last edited: