Xiaomi Redmi 3S - Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime

I'm thinking of buying the Redmi 3s Prime(3GB/32GB) but I'm a little concerned about Xiaomi's after sales service in Kolkata. Also, many users are reporting bugs in the software (proximity sensor issue, gallery app crashes, camera crashes,etc). I am mainly concerned about reliability of Xiaomi phones - are they long-lasting (I plan to use the phone for 2 years)? Can the Mi users on this forum provide some feedback on Xiaomi's after-sales support/reliability or should I wait for a better phone in this price range from another brand?

No clue about after service issues - But we have 3 Xiaomi devices at home, and we have not faced any issues as such... Which specific devices are you referring to, in terms of the software issue.

Why not spend a few extra and buy the Le 2 or the Redmi Note 3? Not much difference though but you will get the added benefit of a Full HD Screen and a better processor. I would personally go with the Le 2 because of the Rose Gold Model and excellent looks

I would prefer something less than 5.5 inches. I have small hands.. lol 😛

If that's the case, then go with the Redmi 3s Prime. Xiaomi has become a trusted brand in India, and will probably provide worry free after sales service too. I am currently using the Redmi Note 3 and haven't faced any issues except that sometimes the fingerprint sensor does not recognize my finger and I have to place my finger again 1-2 times until it recognizes it. I don't know if its an issue in the sensor or what it is, but its only 1 month since I'm using the phone. Except that the phone is working fine, and I guess I can't expect too much for 12k?

Almost none of the phones have a fingerprint scanner that works absolutely 100% of the time, not even the flagships. Xiaomi has an exclusive service center in Kolkata but it has very bad reviews and apparently it is run by Infotech/HCL guys who don't give a damn about Xiaomi's brand image.

Proximity sensor is not an issue with my Redmi Prime 3S device. Maybe its in some devices - so not sure.. The equaliser issue seems to be there...

If the issue varies from device to device it might not be solved with OTA updates. I guess I should just order one and keep my fingers crossed.

Also I would like to point out that in Redmi Note 3, often the finger print sensor starts functioning when placed in my jean's pocket and tries to read the fingerprint and vibrates 5 times until it gets disabled automatically. I don't know how to fix this issue too. In my friend's OnePlus 2 this issue didn't come because in that, he had to first use the POWER button then unlock with the fingerprint sensor. But in Redmi Note 3, the fingerprint sensor starts detecting fingerprint without the use of power button first. Any help?

Last edited:
These are minor issues that I'll be able to live with. I am more concerned about hardware defects because all Chinese manufacturers have problems with availability of parts.

Any advice on how to actually buy the Redmi 3s Prime? I logged in today at 11:40 and kept refreshing the page. When it finally gave me the option to buy and I hit 'proceed to checkout' it showed a msg - "Oops! Something went wrong" and then became out of stock! How many times do I have to try before I hit the jackpot?..

Strange, when I tried it was available for some 3-4 minutes past 12. Again the demand has become high or what...