Wow! Ubuntu 11.04 is out.

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 109
  • Views Views 19,465
Can i get a short review on this OS, whether its good for Not-so-geek people, or pseudo-geek people??My primary usages are:BrowsingTorrentsMedia-centre.....(Pics/Vids/Audio.....)Some Photo/Video editing - Video editing means just conversions & rarely cuttings......photos too - re-sizing/colour rectifying and all.Antivirus - obviously not an activity but its essential.Yes main thing - Officesuites.....thats imp for megaming - i have heard its not developed on this OS, i can do away with it (Or may be keep Windows for that if i need)i think this is all i do on my PC.....fed up MS & its "Premium" stuff. Time to go Open Source & better Source......

Can i get a short review on this OS, whether its good for Not-so-geek people, or pseudo-geek people??

My primary usages are:

Browsing
Torrents
Media-centre.....(Pics/Vids/Audio.....)
Some Photo/Video editing - Video editing means just conversions & rarely cuttings......photos too - re-sizing/colour rectifying and all.
Antivirus - obviously not an activity but its essential.
Yes main thing - Officesuites.....thats imp for me
gaming - i have heard its not developed on this OS, i can do away with it (Or may be keep Windows for that if i need)

i think this is all i do on my PC.....fed up MS & its "Premium" stuff. Time to go Open Source & better Source......

Stick to Windows. Neither OSX nor any Linux flavour offers the ease of use and lucidity while retaining functionality.

the best way to find out is by installing it and using it yourself for a couple of days. you would find out if you can live with it.

You have to download MP3 plugins, Ubuntu supports OGG and WAV by default, it's been like that, from ages.

Had installed kubuntu 11.04 beta release a day ago..... but to be honest those who r into wear & tearing the OS, trying this & that software won't find peace, though good for a refreshment from that old same windows experience. I mean guyz with normal PC usage can certainly be in peace with these open OS.But certainly at the moment i'm more inclined to taste windows 8 builds.

Windows 8?? mmmmmm you have a long way to go my friend, even the betas are not going to come anytime soon.

I think you guys should try first on a USB stick.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I mean live session.Booting directly from USB drive. If you liked then install.

I do that most of the time, but, installing inside windows shouldn't hurt as removing it just takes a couple of minutes.I would love to give it a shot, but, I have had enough trouble following suggestions by fellow members lately, so, laterz.

actually no. the plugin set i downloaded probably had shit load of other plugins too. why are you installing wine?

god. why do you want to run utorrent on ubuntu! there are plenty of torrent clients available on linux. 😕

i think ubuntu comes with deluge?

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

i had suggest using ktorrent

https://imgur.com/vgW0S

running a kde app is better than running utorrent through wine.

told ya. 🙂 of course it does not have all the features of utorrent. i suppose something called UDP? but it works fine. i have used deluge and transmission. they too work fine. but i guess power users have more requirements. if anyone here uses flickr, i would suggest kflickr as good desktop client to upload images to it. i have used it extensively and it works great.