Wireless Setup Without Putting the ADSL modem in a bridge mode

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 5,501

Surfer

ISP
MTNL 590 NU
Hi all, I am planning on setting up a wireless setup , thing is that i dont want to put the ADSL (D-Link 502 T) modem in a bridge mode .. I have setup the Dlink modem with all the port forwarded and all, and dont want to touch that setup ... is it possible to setup the wireless such that i dont disturb the ADSL setup , port forwarding also works correctly (so that torrents are fine) and also can telnet to the ADSL modem so that the automatic reboot scripts work fine ... i know theres a lot of info on wireless setup and have also searched for it in the forums ... but most of them speak of putting the ADSL modem in a bridge mode ... and none of these have answered all of my questions ...any help is appreciated ....

Do not disturb anything in D-Link 502T for the present. ( GLB or DSL ? ).If it is not a wireless router you have to buy a wireless router.

yes ...i am planning on buying a wireless router either Netgear or Linksys ... and connecting it to the D-Link 502T (currently in pppoe mode) .... just wanted to know how to go about it so that i dont disturb the dlink settings (ie keep the dlink modem in pppoe mode with all the ports forwarded for the torrents)... can access the conn on my laptop through wifi and also use the automated telnet scripts to reboot the adsl modem for the NU plan

Now make a copy of all entries in your D-Link 502 T.
There could be provision in the modem also to do this.( Save all settings to hard disk )
I would rather prefer making screen shots of all modem pages.

Para two : Use any Wireless router ( cheaper model is Net gear, but for sisterly affection choose a dlink wireless router !) and use the program wizard.
Telnet from Laptop wirelessly could be a problem. I am not familiar with this, but had detailed discussion in this forum. Cyberwiz will/may help , if needed
Start at Post 1 https://broadband.forum/mtnl-triband-broadband/4251-utstarcom-bridge-mode-configuration-automatic-router-reboot/

I have done somethng similar to what you want to do. But I havent dabbled in port forwarding or telnet. My D-Link DSL 502T was set by me as recommended by MTNL as seen in Socrates?s experience: Configuring the D-Link 502T router for MTNL Broadband Do it yourself
and i recently bought the Linksys WRT 54G wireless router for Rs 2450 from Lamington Rd Mumbai, (Netgear WGR 614 is Rs 1900) & set it up in the following manner (without making any changes in the D-Link) as seen in Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I hope this helps

thanks a lot socrates ... that was very helpful ... i will try it out and let you know what happened ...