• Thread starter vibbs
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 4
  • Views: Views 1,872
V

vibbs

ISP
mtnl
Hi frns,I m having 1mbps unlimited dwload plan of MTNL broadband. The modem I ve got is sterlite supplied by MTNL itself.Now I want to go Wifi so I can use my laptop too. The options I have is to eitehr get a device of my own or go for mtnl supplied one. For MTNL one I m supposed to write a letter to the area manager or so and take my modem to the area office and get the wireless one in exchange provided its available. This was told to me by the custommer care guy..The other option is to buy a wireless router and do the configuration myself..Here comes my dilema...Do I need to go for a router cum modem device or just connect the router to my existing device. I m not bothered about having two devices n all...Is it feasible to buy just a router and connect it to my existing modem?Considering the fact that i wont get any suport from mtnl...

S

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
I am not sure how it is in Delhi, but in Mumbai we can ask for a broadband or an upgrade to wifi by dialing 1500. Also we don't have rent for Unlimited plans only 'Installation' charges have to paid. You can go in for a single unit with DSL modem cum WiFi router (in which case you have to return the MTNL modem to them) or just add a WiFi router to the existing modem, it's upto you. I myself use a D-Link DSL 502T & Linksys WRT 54G WiFi router (bouoght at different times). Hope this helps.

Samuel

Samuel

ISP
Precious Net
Call the customer care of MTNL and ask them for the list of Wireless Router supported by them.
I am listing the routers that am aware of:
Linksys WRT54G
Trendchip HG520

And to be honest getting a modem through MTNL takes forever, and you never know if you are being given the first hand stuff.

S

socrates

I got banned!
ISP
Jio Fiber. FTTH
Many people prefer to use MTNL equipment as repairs is a their headache but if they do not have the stock then you might have to wait.