Wireless Modem for Dataone

• Thread starter Thread starter bandiphani
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,846

bandiphani

ISP
DataOne
Hi, I am using TYPE I modem for Dataone. I am planning to purchese Wire less modem, please suggest me some supported model for dataone. RegardsPhaneendra.

Hello user bandiphani

Any modern wireless ADSL modem that has IEEE 802.11n support (draft) will be okay for you, and keep you satisfied for a long time. Look at the websites for Linksys, Netgear, Asus etc. Personally, I like Asus.

I'll say get some model that is supported by aftermarket firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. You'll need these aftermarket firmware sooner or later :cool2: You can check on the firmware project's site to see if the modem you are getting is supported.

Whatever you do, configure your wireless network correctly and with strong passphrase so that only authorized users can log on and use the network. Read the manual carefully and there are some guides etc on the net that no doubt you'll find with a google search. Remember there's a legal penalty too in India these days, you can't be careful enough.

Hi Thanks for your reply, shall i go with DSL-N13 or WAG54GP2. Both model will work with data one? Phaneendra.

User bandiphani

Without looking at any specific models, I can tell you that Dataone will work with any ADSL modem. There is no such thing as 'Dataone compatible' ADSL modem or anything, BSNL made up the different types (Type1, Type 3) just to simplify the things for its own workforce.

BSNL Dataone is an ADSL2+ service, any ADSL2+ modem in which you can plug in the telephone line and somehow connect to the computer at other end will work. Wired or wireless. So all these latest modems that you find on Asus, Netgear websites will work. Add D-Link to the list as well.

If it says ADSL2+ or G.dmt or G.992.5 dmt somewhere in the specification sheet, stay assured it will work with BSNL Dataone.

Have you purchased the modem from BSNL or leased/rented? The reason being, if you have purchased you do not need wireless ADSL modem+router, you can keep that and just buy a plain wireless router.
So dataone comes through to through the ADSL modem, goes to your new fancy wireless router and then to your computer. IIRC the aftermarket firmware is for routers and not modem+router models, but you might search their forums before pulling the trigger.

To decide on specific model, compare the feature/specification sets and see what fits your requirement. Every case is a bit different. What are your requirements...present and future....only you can decide.