Wireless LAN Setup - Help needed from Scratch

• Thread starter Thread starter ashishgoel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,779
ISP
MTNL & Airtel
Hi all,Since I've been upgraded to 2 MBPS, I'm having few problems because of multiple joints on my line before the MTNL line ends at my computer. So I've decided to build a Wireless Connectivity in my house, by installing router at the origin point of MTNL line in my house, thus bypassing the joints. As I'm a amateur in Wireless thing ( though I'm constantly striving to increase the knowledge by reading in forums ), i need HELP regarding the same.By searching different forums, I concluded that I'll be needed a wireless router (Netgear 54 MBPS - at the moment best in category - @ Rs. 2000/-) and one wireless LAN card (netgear @ Rs. 900/-) for my desktop. Please suggest if there are any better or equivalent piece available at the same or low price.Also, if i wanna expand the wireless capabilities to my neighbour, say at second floor (me being at ground floor), what is needed? Is booster/access point needed at second floor or at first floor or at my place or I would be needed a better range router.What are other things that may be required, like special software, cables etc so as to keep my Wireless connectivity safe and working..Please suggest.

Hi all,I've decided to build a Wireless Connectivity in my house, by installing router at the origin point of telephone line in my house, thus bypassing multiple joints in my telephone line. As I'm a amateur in Wireless thing ( though I'm constantly striving to increase the knowledge by reading in forums ), i need HELP regarding the same.By searching different forums, I concluded that I'll be needed a wireless router (Netgear 54 MBPS - at the moment best in category - @ Rs. 2000/-) and one wireless LAN card (netgear @ Rs. 900/-) for my desktop. Please suggest if there are any better or equivalent piece available at the same or low price.Also, if i wanna expand the wireless capabilities to my neighbour, say at second floor (me being at ground floor), what is needed? Is booster/access point needed at second floor or at first floor or at my place or I would be needed a better range router.What are other things that may be required, like special software, cables etc so as to keep my Wireless connectivity safe..Please suggest.

Well Netgear is well priced Quality product available in India.I think from exp that wireless router range easily surpass a single floor so you won't require anything additional for second floor. However YMMV

And even if you do not signal on second floor, don't worry. You can get external antenna for Netgear router that shaould solve the problem.

i think you should easily be able to receive signal even on the third floor and maybe even on the fourth floor. 🙂

btw which router (please tell me the model no.) are you buying? i am looking for one too.

today i bought Netgear wireless router WGR 614 (Rs. 2000/-) and Wireless Netgear USB Adapter WG111 (Rs. 1200) and after much of fiddling, it started working ( it took me 2 - 3 hours to figure out that the total setup time is only 15 min.. wooph )...and after sometime, i realized that i'm actually in need of ADSL wireless router and not just wireless router, so i logged in ebay and found that the ADSL wireless router are not less than Rs. 6000/- (anybody else know better price). So in the end, i thought, i had a good investment, as anybody who is goin for it, can buy ADSL modem from 1800/- and add wirelss router @ 2000/- to it, thus sacin around 2000 - 2200/- bucks....

Type-II Bsnl modem is available for 1800Rs (Refurbished). It has Inbuilt Adsl modem + 1 ethernet port + Wireless Connectivity. Not a bad deal 😉Smc is brand don't know the exact model. Warranty not included however modem is mostly not more than year old.Anyone who need it pm me.Edit Note: Splitter won't be included

QUOTE(ashishgoel @ Apr 4 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]86078[/snapback]
and after sometime, i realized that i'm actually in need of ADSL wireless router and not just wireless router....[/b]

Why do u need an additional ADSL modem..if u already have an MTNL connection then u must be having a modem with it?

QUOTE(cyberwiz @ Apr 4 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]86112[/snapback]
Why do u need an additional ADSL modem..if u already have an MTNL connection then u must be having a modem with it?[/b]

Hey people, I too am getting a wireless ADSL router. I want to know if the connection speed gets divided between the computers or will the connection speed will be max constant for all the connected comps. For eg, I have a AIRTEL 256K UL, i have 2 comps & a lappy, if i use a wireless router, will all the systems get 256K or will they get 256/3 each? Please ANSWER ME!!!

i'm havin prob with Netgear USB adapter, my comp freezes whenever there is transfer between adapter n router... i contacted their INternational support, but not much of help. Given it back to vendor for checking... any idea why it is happenin??