• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,375

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
Just got a laptop with a built in wireless internet card, and going to get a 220bx modem (Airtel) in a couple of days.

So just playing around with the idea, how much would it cost to setup a wirless connection, given that the laptop already has it built-in?

(Also do most wireless routers have an option for a wired connection too? As in I would want to have my dekstop connected with a wired connection, and have the laptop be connected wirelessly in another room).

It would cost from 1400 to 3000 Rs. SMC WiFI router (works only in b mode) comes for 1400. Netger/SMC Router (that works in b or g mode) comes for 2400 - 3000.I have been using Netgear router for 7 - 8 monts, working great. I paid 2500 for this router. And yes most routers come with ports for LAN cables as well.Tehclnically routers in "b" mode wil give to speed up to 10 mbps, routers that work in "g" mode will give you speeds up to 54 mbps. Speed is a criteria if you routinely transfer large files between PC and Laptop. For accessing net, either kinds of the router will work fine.

Yep. Go for Netgear. Just head to Nehru Place and ask for Computer Empire. Those guys have the cheapest rates for every damn piece of hardware. Should cost somewhere b/w 2000-2500 bucks now. I have the same set-up as urs. One comp & one laptop. You can access the net on both simultaneously and u can setup a lan and trasfer files b/w the 2 wirelessly. It has 4 ethernet ports for wired connections. Looks pretty sleek too.

i would recommend Netgear too...dunno if netfreak is a netgear rep (there is an odd familiarity between their names 😛 )

QUOTE(max @ May 8 2006, 02:43 AM) [snapback]50580[/snapback]
dunno if netfreak is a Netgear rep
[/b]

Netgear folks.. write a check to me whenever a forum members buys your gear 🙂

Ok I have a chance to get a router from the states. Please advise which ones of the following you would recommend. (I have Airtel 256kbps unlimited). And how much of a b*tch is it to install one of these things? (btw The Airtel CC guy who comes to my house said he would do it for me, but I would prefer to do it myself).

D-Link
Buffalo
Linksys
Netgear

Also any ideas generally speaking what the range on these things are, especially given that our walls are more solid than that of American homes?

I have Netgear (Paid 2300 in India) it works across 2 walls, ~30 ft for PC and Dell laptop.Works across 3 walls, ~50 for Thinkpad (it has better antenna).Installation is easy. Quite a few posts discuss installation steps.

Ok, I am thinking of the Buffalo one, since it has excellent reviews, 124Mbps data rate, and is priced at $45.45 including shipping which works out to be around Rs. 2,150. Would that be suitable?

124 mbps will require a WiFi card with the same chipset since standerd cards will support speeds only up to ~50 mbps. I have not used buffalo, don't know much about it.

Got the Buffalo one... really nice!! Easy to setup too!!Now I just want to make sure that my network is secure, so I have downe the following:#1) Changed the SSID#2) Switched the "Broadcast SSID" option off.#3) Enabled 128bit WEP.Is there anything else I should do?

1. Use WPA-PSK instead of WEP which is supposedly crackable as my good friend Max pointed out a while back 😛2. Setup a MAC access list and add ur devices to it. This will make it foolproof.

I would but I don't think my wireless chip (Intel 2200BG) supports WPA.... it definitely does not show up in the encryption options.. only WEP.About the MAC access list... tel me if I have this correct.... every networking device (like my wireless router, as well as my laptop's wireless card) has a unique number so to speak called their MAC address.... so essentially I set my router to only allow my wireless card's MAC address, so that even if someone else knows my SSID and WEP key, they won't be able to access my network or steal bandwidth from me.... correct?

ok, was just about to do it, but am a little confused about this note in the help section of the wireless router:Both Ethernet Converter’s MAC address and network device’s MAC address connected to the Ethernet Converter should be entered to allow connection with AirStation.Does this mean I should register the MAC address of both my modem (Beetel 220bx) and the wireless card in my laptop?If so I know I can find the MAC address of the network card by doing ipconfig/all but how do I find it out for the modem?

It's a wireless access list (don't really need an allow list for wired connections if you think abt it 😛) An ethernet converter is just a device with which u can connect any comp with an ethernet port to a wireless network, so ignore that bit (unless u happen to have one). So there's no need to add the modem to the list. Just the wireless devices that are gonna connect to the wireless router (intel 2200BG chip in ur laptop and any wireless cards ur using for your desktops).