Windows Phone 8.1

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 132
  • Views Views 11,673
^^^ Need to change phone as Developer's preview device to get WP8.1 upgrade as this upgrade is only for developers 🙂
SVK said:
By a tweak all current WP8 handsets can get WP8.1 developer preview.
Steps to follow are - http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers
1. Create account for free in http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/ by signing in with same MS account which is used for Windows Phone.
2. Install Preview for Developers ass (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96) and open app and accept T&C.
3. Now phone is ready to install developers preview OS and if new developer preview OS update is available, then check for updates and install updated OS.
4. This update would only include update from Microsoft and would not have firmware update from OEM (e.g. Nokia updates).
5. Official update with OEM firmware can be installed after update is officially release to all handsets.
Note: WP8.1 developer preview is expected to release this week (starting 14 Apr 2014) and I have not checked as of now if update is available. But if available, I will surely update my phone 🙂

The main thing one need to worry is , this voids warranty

Windows Phone 8.1 review: Major league

What's new:
Action Center to display all of your notifications, plus customizable quick toggles
Cortana virtual assistant at your command
Universal Search
Start background on all of your tiles
Customizable number of tiles per row - four or six
Internet Explorer 11 with better UI, faster page load, in-private browsing, tab sync across devices and Reader mode
New Dialer app with Speed Dial, shortcuts to contact, and call time
Built-in Facebook with deeper integration, real-time notifications
Redesigned status bar
Quiet Hours mode for control over your notifications at night or events marked as busy
Move/install apps on SD card
Automatic app updates in Store
VPN support
Wi-Fi Sense
Better sound control with separate scrubbers for Notifications/Ringer and Apps/Media
Better multi-tasking with suspend mode
Camera burst mode, customizable viewfinder
Swype-like keyboard
Battery Sense app
Storage Sense app
New Music and Video apps
Podcasts app
Better backups with app data sync
App data syncing across devices
Customizable lockscreen and glance screen notifications
You can change the default SMS app and the default SMS notifications
Support for QHD displays, dual-SIM and fingerprint scanners, on-screen buttons

What's still missing: System-wide file manager
Options for more quick toggles
Richer app catalog
Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals

|
New installed apps have small NEW written below in app list. It will mark NEW till we open app.

Yes. I am quite excited about new changes available on WP8.1. My phone now feels "complete" 😀
Another feature I would like to highlight is "Data Sense".
Earlier in WP8, Data Sense only had option to look data usage based on particular date of month Vs data limit.
Now we set Monthly (as earlier for postpaid set with date), One Time (for prepaid, where we can set data limit and number of days), Unlimited and None.