Windows 8 Stops Responding Once I Close And Open The Laptop Screen

dextermorgan

I got banned!
ISP
Beam Fiber
I have an Acer aspire laptop and had installed windows 8 2 months ago. Everything worked fine but once after working on laptop,I closed the lid and when I opened it, the laptop stopped responding. So after half an hour I pressed the power off button and again booted it ..It didn't boot and after 2 tries, windows automatic repair came on screen and attempted to repair it..but even that got stuck(talk about irony).
So again installed a new legit version of windows 8 4 days back. Everything worked fine till tonight when after watching a movie ,I closed the lid and when I opened it again, the laptop stuck. Again pressed the power off button and when I boot it again, it stopped responding.
What should I do?

He has already run chkdsk. The longer version. Looks bad. Live CD would of course be the best option right now to check potential problems.

I would say it's the hard drive!
Same thing happened with my installation as well, I blamed Windows 8 as it was working fine till the time I was windows 7!
I would suggest you to do one thing OP!
Run this program HD Tune and post a screenshot of health tab that looks likes this:

If you have Ubuntu or any Linux Live CD, please run it and execute this command in terminal:
.. then paste the last few 50-100 lines or so, that would be really helpful!

Okay ..since the laptop stopped at windows 7 "setup is starting" screen, I left it like that and went to get some shuteye. Woke up at 7 and saw that It has loaded the next step. Installed Windows 7 home premium but the installation took about 45 mins. Earlier it took just 15~20 mins. Anyways I was thinking that this ordeal is over when I find that windows 7 has not loaded Video driver or maybe windows 7 video driver is messed up coz the screen and icons are big ..wrong resolution.
I have been thinking of installing windows 8 again since laptop is clean of any imp files now nut now I've downloaded the HD tune. Will check and post the results.
PS: thankfully Dropbox saved my ass. Back up was happening in the background when the crash happened. Just lost a couple of important files. Have beam broadband and Iam thankful for its upload speed.

lost 4 GB of files ..these were new files. Have automatic backup from Dropbox ..that saved my ass.
yup. looks like bad HDD.

You can see that my default video driver is fucked up. Should go to Acer site and download latest video drivers.
So whats the verdict? Get my HDD changed? But it worked without fault in windows 7. I don't get it.

Just because it worked with a previous OS does not guarantee it will work again. And this is data you are talking about. Better replace it. And upgrading to Win 8 and hdd crashing can just be a co-incidence.