Windows 7 can be installed from bootable USB instead of legacy CD/DVD

• Thread starter Thread starter popcorn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 9,281
I was thinking of buying a 320 GB laptop hdd of 2.5 with 7200 rpm for USD 60 on newegg, but now dropped the idea as windows 7 runs extra smooth on my lappy as I got the DMA 6 mode enabled by windows 7. Win7 runs better than vista in HDD performance. The 7200 rpm hdds will rock on win7 !

hey after changing the settings in BIOS to make it boot via USB.
Do we need to change the settings back to boot from HDD after installation is done on HDD through the USB booting ?

cool thanks!
should i go with the 64 bit or 32 bit one ( core2duo). Ram is only 3GB for now not gonna put more ram in this system.
Gonna go with full upgrade later.

its taking forever to create a bootable usb 30 min still at 80%.
This system is gonna get discharged so gonna give 64 bit a try on C2D considering it was pretty much designed for it one of the 1st processors to have 2 core processors 😛

i have it on my laptop pre installed with i3, run win 7, 32 bit. I even upgraded the ram on it ( had a thread on the same on the forum :tongue: )
I find it sluggish and crap that even my c2d can easily outperform it.
My memory usage does go beyond 3 gigs plus easlily though on both systems... windows paging file is probably providing that extra 1 GB over the 3GB installed.

anant.del said:
cool thanks!
should i go with the 64 bit or 32 bit one ( core2duo). Ram is only 3GB for now not gonna put more ram in this system.
Gonna go with full upgrade later.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130730221217AA21dRt
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'san-serif';font-size:13px;]"Short answer is, 32 bit OS uses less RAM for itself , but cant get beyond 4GB, but 64 bit OS can but uses more of the RAM. [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'san-serif';font-size:13px;]So if you have, less than 4GB, you will have more free RAM with a 32bit OS, but if you have more, you will have less than 4GB available with a 32 bit OS. [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'san-serif';font-size:13px;]If you have exactly 4, it is a bit tricky. It can mean that a 32 bit OS can only use 3.5 but a 64 bit OS can use 4 but occupies another 0.5GB :/ [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'san-serif';font-size:13px;]I'd say if you plan to upgrade to 4, get a 64 bit OS, and if you plan to stay at 2 until you get a newer PC, then by all means, pick a 32 bit OS. "[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, 'san-serif';font-size:13px;]Reason for 32bit version OS ........[/color]
Easy way to fresh install Vista/7/8:
1. Make pen drive bootable and install Hiren's Boot CD 15.2
2. Copy Install.wim file to pen drive
2. Boot from Pen Drive and load mini XP
3. Run Hiren's Program Launcher
4. Run WinNTSetup utility.
5. Select Source wim file and destination Partition (Should be Active)
6. Select other tweaks, and run setup............That's it.
(To make your partition bootable/active/format you can use other tool from Hiren Boot cd like Minitool's Partition wizard home edition.)

yup 64 bit is dam ram hungry just installed it lol. Its already on 2GB with one tab of chrome running
System is smooth almost feels like a brand new system with use of SSD.
I hope it somehow manages this ram usage!

Or one can use YUMI to make multiboot usb pen drive.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
I have one 64GB with lot's of Linux Live Distro, Hiren Boot CD, Bootable Rescue Kits, Bootable Antivirus kits, Windows 7, partition tools and lot's more.
The USB disk I created is all in one place system for me, Ubuntu with persistence, Knoppix Live DVD with 100 of software preinstalled and persistence feature Included.
Just boot from pen drive on any computer, and you can do anything,

onlytest said:
The USB disk I created is all in one place system for me, Ubuntu with persistence, Knoppix Live DVD with 100 of software preinstalled and persistence feature Included.
heh awesome 😀
btw the usable space on 120GB is only 111 GB and about 10GB is eaten up by OS.
Wasn't really expecting SSD would suffer from this disadvantage of usable space less than the actual size of the drive !