Windows 10

This is being done because of enterprise customers. Their revenue stream dropped significantly.

Anything free won't last long.
Btw, I honestly didn't understand why were they charging money for win 10 when they were also providing it for free.

windows 10 has never been free. the upgrade was free for users who had an existing license of an older version of windows. Apple already provide all their os updates for free. google does the same with android. this is not unique to microsoft. and it is the reason for widespread adoption of windows. and improves security for everyone.

if the rumors are true and they are going to indeed announce a paid upgrade to windows 10 in coming weeks. it would again result in fragmentation of their ecosystem. hopefully the upgrade would be cheap like it was for windows 8. iirc they charged 750 bucks here in india.

right. looks like i paid 1999 as well. weirdly, i do remember 750 being the upgrade price at point of time...

700 was for those who had a paid license for Windows 7. And I was lucky that that MS had given me Windows 7 for free for some party pack thing they had going back then. 😛

nm. samuel paid 700 based on his screenshot. i missed the promo part. mine was still 1999.

so what did i upgrade from? vista? lol. seems weird coz i definitely had a windows 7 license at that point of time.

yeah it was a free for all party at the time. probably the first time a lot of indians actually paid for software.

Microsoft really pushed Windows 7 and 8 a lot here and did some crazy things. And I don't think they ever made an Indian ad for Windows before this.

This used to play on channels all day. lol

Last edited by a moderator: