Will parallel line cause issues?

• Thread starter Thread starter kartoonz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,312
ISP
MTNL
hi friends my house has a parallel line for the broadband landline, one in bedroom and 2nd in the hall. the bedroom line has the landline connected, however the hall does not have a phone connected and is just idle. the broadband in charge at the exchange said that even though there is no instrument connected the parallel line would cause disconnection issues for 8mbps broadband!!! Is that true?? Am i better off getting a new line which will have no parallel line?? I am tired of this problem since last 20 days...

Its Just to fright you. bsnl guys are retard iam using same setup from yrs now no disconnections

Actually what that person says is correct. MTNL site clearly states that the tell line coming to the subscribers house should first come to the modem then bifurcate thru a splitter to a tel line. I will give you three examples I have witnessed/experienced,

[*]My neighbour who took a broadband connection in 2005 had a parallel connection but it worked fine for many years but when it started giving trouble he had to redo his internal & external wiring to get his problem sorted out.
[*]In my case (also 2005) I had the tel line coming after going to a tel instrument but it never worked for me so I was forced to re lay my internal wiring (as per the norm) to get it working.
[*]In another friends house in my colony his wiring was as per the norm mentioned in the first para but he had two tel instruments in his house & the second one was creating the problem. Please note the tel wire was coming thru the splitter. Luckily the linesman told me this & proved himself correct (much to my disbelief).
[/list]

socrates said:
Actually what that person says is correct. MTNL site clearly states that the tell line coming to the subscribers house should first come to the modem then bifurcate thru a splitter to a tel line. I will give you three examples I have witnessed/experienced,

[*]My neighbour who took a broadband connection in 2005 had a parallel connection but it worked fine for many years but when it started giving trouble he had to redo his internal & external wiring to get his problem sorted out.
[*]In my case (also 2005) I had the tel line coming after going to a tel instrument but it never worked for me so I was forced to re lay my internal wiring (as per the norm) to get it working.
[*]In another friends house in my colony his wiring was as per the norm mentioned in the first para but he had two tel instruments in his house & the second one was creating the problem. Please note the tel wire was coming thru the splitter. Luckily the linesman told me this & proved himself correct (much to my disbelief).
[/list]
I have 3 parallel points in my house and i have a splitter at each point. I have a 8Mbps connection and I get about 6.4Mbps or so usually. Do you think if I had a single line, this speed will go up? Should I try and check speed at first incoming point?

rsatbf said:
I have 3 parallel points in my house and i have a splitter at each point. I have a 8Mbps connection and I get about 6.4Mbps or so usually. Do you think if I had a single line, this speed will go up? Should I try and check speed at first incoming point?
Its very difficult to say as you see in the three experiences I have mentioned above a lot depends on the quality of wire, its length, interference acting on it plus the quality of the jacks & the terminals on the wires. I currently have two tel instruments after my splitter & all new terminals/jacks.

@ socrates thanks for the clarification....i was wondering though the same set up works fine for 2mbps.... so do you recon i get a new line just for BB as said earlier by x720??

ssparikshya said:
Its Just to fright you. bsnl guys are retard iam using same setup from yrs now no disconnections
looks like i have been lucky then 😛
my stats

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
:​
41.2 8.6 db
Line Attenuation​
15.7 10.2 db
Data Rate​
2048 509 kbps

ssparikshya said:
looks like i have been lucky then :tongue:
my stats

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
41.2 8.6 db
Line Attenuation​
15.7 10.2 db
Data Rate​
2048 509 kbps
Lol Yes you are. Like I mentioned in post #4 point 1 it can go on for many years like in my neighbours case but wheni things start to go wrong it can be a nightmare especially (& if you have concealed wiring) wiif you get a incompetent linesman for your area. 🙂

socrates said:
Lol Yes you are. Like I mentioned in post #4 point 1 it can go on for many years like in my neighbours case but wheni things start to go wrong it can be a nightmare especially (& if you have concealed wiring) wiif you get a incompetent linesman for your area. 🙂
Sahi Bola. I went thru all that once 🙂