• Thread starter Thread starter Toocool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,996

Toocool

Addicts
ISP
airtel
ok guys i donno if its the rite place to ask but its the only place i knw rite now, my friend sent an abusive mail from my pc having airtel broadband to a company in usa, now that company sent a legal kinda notice to my mail id threatning that its goin to take legal action against me , they say that they have my ip and pc mac address n all and are talkin to my isp ie airtel brodband services, kindly pls let me knw am i goin to jail??? i m so worried and horrified please please help 😛leasehelp:

i guess if you can prove that you did not send that email, you should be fine. sending a legal notice is something... going to jail for something is something else. if the company in question is not a high profile one... you should be pretty safe. you can just respond to their email clarifying your position. if they are smart enough, they would understand. if the email was sent from an email id that was not created by you... you should be safe as well...

sent a legal kinda notice to my mail id
If the message was sent with your email ID,
Your version is not convincing.
Seems your "friend" used your email ID /password
to send the abusive mail ?
Is it availble in your mail client OE Outlook Yahoo Hotmail etc ?
or deleted?

Don't worry. they have to file a case against you in Indian courts. .
Can you prosecute a postman for delivering an abusive letter ? You are only the medium.
X ( Your "friend") sends an e mail to Y ( American company)
X uses computer of P ( yourself)
P's ISP Z( is Airtel.)
Y wants to prosecute P only ?
Airtel cannot be liable. same way yourself.
E mail ID is critical.
2 It will take 25 years before your case comes up !
The fees American Lawyers and Indian lawyers charge,
will discourage them from proceeding further.
Lesson : Do not allow access to your computer in future,
to so called "friends"

3. Probably your "friend" is an ex employee of that company.

well the problem is that if that company goes through the IT Cell, they would contact Airtel and locate his computer. he would be held responsible for the act. remember the case when an engineer was literally sent to jail for a mistake made by airtel? airtel pointed out the wrong customer when they were provided the IP of the 'attacker'. though that case involved sonia gandhi so it was processed at a much faster pace.

@admin
.If you remember, the subject/discussion became very controversial and personal.
( error by Airtel was confusing GMT and IST time in origin of the post )
A member was expelled for personal
attack against me in this forum calling me mad/insane etc.!

You also raised the query, whether you can be held
responsible for comments/views expressed in this forum.
Whether libel/defamation laws are applicable
to email messages/ forums is a
"grey" zone.
Even as evidence in a court of Law.
( I will update this later. Identical case pending in court.
X sends mail to Y.
Y produced this as evidence in High Court.
whether X denies/accepts the contents ,
or claim someone else sent it , will be decided soon )
The earlier case was for defaming a
famous historical personality ( say P Q or Z).
Also another "YOU TUBE" video by an Indian/American comedian who made a dance
Video dressed as Mahtma Gandhi. YT removed it after protests by viewers.

By the way I am not a lawyer/advocate !

5. In this case better not to respond/reply to the email and check
whether "read message" acknowledgement has been sent from his email ID.
Worst case scenerio:
Airtel may disconnect your Broadband connection.
( EULA! ( * agreement conditions apply in small print)

Reference http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/it&law/c10_main.htm

thanks frnds for replying, but i have sent them mail telling it was my frnd using my id and pc and i am sorry for what he did and apologised for it, and what i believe is that company is not a high profile one, after knwing all this frends what shud be my course of action now??, i think i have done what i could have done , pls post your viewsthanks a lot for replying😛leasehelp:

Now , you have admitted that the "abusive email" was sent either by you or your friend, by replying to them.What was the need to hurry and reply ?When a written statement is made admitting a fault, your defense becomes weak, later.(You think, your apology will be accepted ? . The company must have been enraged at the contents/abuses/ allegations of the email sent .)So many dash reply on line , and later regret it. Better to compose a reply, transfer to Drafts Folder and decide say after 24 hours, whether to send the reply or not., or modify suitably.( same precaution to SMS messages to be observed, for messages of this nature )Let us hope , the company drops the matter.You can relax now , and post any replyyou get from the company.

I dont think a legal notice by EMAIL holds any value. You shud have simply ignored it.

hi, essbebe frnd but it was sent from my mail id from my pc through yahoo id from a browser and i knew it was true, they were saying that they are in talks with airtel and will take legal actions , so i just lost my mind and said ok i am sorry, thank u for replying and i will keep u updated about it watever happens nextthank u all

Bull crap, they are just yanking your chain. I mean they are not stupid enough to spend thousands of $$$ pursuing such a pointless and petty issue. You haven't exactly hacked into their systems or infringed on some of their intellectual property. They are not even going to make any money of off this. It would be complete waste of their time and money...........Besides, if abusive emails were capable of putting people in jail that easily then a very large part of the internet using population would be missing...... including myself.Then again legal action could also mean a fine and not just incarceration. And even that is preposterous notion!!!!!Relax dude, go on with your life as usual. Nobody is going to do anything to you.:thumb😛.S : What the hell did you write in the email man, that you got people to send u a legal notice(By the way can only be issued by a court order, not easy to obtain)?

@srinag it was just some ***k words and thats all by my frnd from my pc and my id and i hope watever u sayin is rite thanks a lot

As far as I know - They must be having big fish to fry rather than concentrating on your issue.

If you have apologized and told them the truth, i think they would not held you for it.however did you told them your friend's Name andDid you kicked him for doing so, he's a cunning friend who has used you, learn from this and avoid giving your account access to others if you don't have control over them.

umm..cause of action arises in America..wat jurisdiction do they have to enforce their laws here or use force of their law over Indian courts and police..none..they will need to extradite u...:imbored: or come here and file a complaint under IT act