Will Bsnl Be Able To Sustain Bandwidth With Unlimited Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 6,418
They shud be able to sustain it....with NIB-II nearing completion... It shud be a cake-walk... 🙂

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 4 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]50171[/snapback]
anyways. for our sake i hope they have thought about the consequences of giving away unlimited packages. airtel has managed it well by throttling speeds (upto in layman terms)... we will have to see about what BSNL do.
[/b]
I dont understand why you have to be so negative? I mean all around the world companies are giving away unlimited, unthrottled bandwidth and they aren't going bankrupt. BSNL is actually rolling in cash and its a very profitable venture for the government. Why do you feel that this wont work out? :huh:

since when does our government started caring about what we want? if they have tons of cash lying around to be used to serve the people, why don't they begin by setting up a functional customare care support first?

Currently I am facing a huge drop in my speed today. I was getting around 62 KB per second with my 512 kbps connection. But now I am getting only 38 KB or sometimes just 6 or 8 KB. This SUCKS BIG TIME!!! I thought I finally got some good connection but now it has turned into the same old slow lousy connection. I don't know whats wrong and I am totally in rage... Someone plz help me out. Its just been 10 days since I got the connection. Iam using my LAN cable to connect... I was getting good speeds last night.

looks like the announcement of Unlimited connections has only dried up the bandwidth 😉

i am still waiting for a public announcement by the company like they do with their other schemes. like oneindia and the likes.let them shout in public that they are indeed giving away unlimited packages. and let thousands of user switch to this package.then we will see how much capable they are of handling that kind of load on their servers.and if they can survive and provide a decent service, i would myself go to their head office stand in the line and apply for a connection for myself.till then i am happy paying airtel bills using my credit card which i cant do with BSNL (i think...).

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 5 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]50275[/snapback]
then we will see how much capable they are of handling that kind of load on their servers.
[/b]

They can buy bandwidth, its cheap. There was a post in this forum that compared bandwidth prices paid by MTNL/BSNL and it was not much higher then international prices.

Their delivery infrastructure and list mile connectivity is a different issue, not sure if their DSLAM and routing infrastructure can take that much load.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 5 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]50275[/snapback]
and if they can survive and provide a decent service, i would myself go to their head office stand in the line and apply for a connection for myself.

till then i am happy paying airtel bills using my credit card which i cant do with BSNL (i think...).
[/b]
Hay and you should be able to pay bills from your credit card. Do you have HDFC/ICICI/Abn Amro account? They do support BSNL bills in some states. I pay MTNL bills online.
Otherwise just pay Rs 10 to some collection center, they will deposit your bills for you 🙂

They can buy bandwidth, its cheap. There was a post in this forum that compared bandwidth prices paid by MTNL/BSNL and it was not much higher then international prices.Their delivery infrastructure and list mile connectivity is a different issue, not sure if their DSLAM and routing infrastructure can take that much load.[/b]

but they don't get paid for the usage of that bandwidth from the users...

but the users will leave them for some other service if they dont provide decent bandwidth.

1. how many of them have better alternative options?2. its been quite sometime that they have had stupid limits. i cant remember 10 people who have moved to airtel. people are either too lazy. or they just dont give a damn. i know people who are sticking with bsnl just becoz they dont a want a second phone at home. god damn, who is telling you to keep the phone connected? their are no rental plans on airtel. just get them and surf freely.

BSNL might have upgraded their service and added some stability, but I highly doubt that they will be able to handle it. Once people know the advantage of unlimited connections and they discovere torrents, well then be ready for slow speeds. Besides, BSNL has a reputation for giving bad service anyway.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 5 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]50291[/snapback]
but they don't get paid for the usage of that bandwidth from the users...
[/b]

It should not matter, as with rest of the world, BSNL will purchase B/W at nearly the same price.

And as other ISPs gamble on the fact that not every user is a heavy downloader, BSNL can do the same. And unlimited user do pay higher then normal users (900 as compared to 250 for minimal package).

and dude how many people are going to run 24x7 servers? I cant think of even one real life person doing that...

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 5 2006, 07:33 AM) [snapback]50298[/snapback]
people are either too lazy. or they just dont give a damn. i know people who are sticking with bsnl just becoz they dont a want a second phone at home.

god damn, who is telling you to keep the phone connected? their are no rental plans on airtel. just get them and surf freely.
[/b]

People are not moving out of BSNL not because they are lazy but because Airtel is just not available. In places in Kolkata where Airtel is available, BSNL is losing Internet aware customers.

QUOTE(max @ May 5 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]50357[/snapback]
and dude how many people are going to run 24x7 servers? I cant think of even one real life person doing that...
[/b]

I doubt whether running server with Dataone is a good option as BSNL is giving Asymmetric connection unlike Airtel.

People are not moving out of BSNL not because they are lazy but because Airtel is just not available. In places in Kolkata where Airtel is available, BSNL is losing Internet aware customers.[/b]

India has just around 18 million net customers. how many of them are actually internet aware? i am talking about majority. my nana happens to be one of them. he is on mtnl package despite airtel offering him a free connection with no rentals... just because he already has 2 telephone lines from MTNL.