wifi range??

• Thread starter Thread starter ramkali
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,786

ramkali

ISP
bsnl
i need to connect simultaneosly to the net with a laptop and a desktop pc--which type of bsnl adsl modem do i use--also what is the distance range for a wifi connection??

BROADBAND MAIN MENU
Choose type IV.
or type1/or IIwith USB and LAN port. see the pictures and description.
Depends on various factors . maximum approx 100 feet. obstructions/rooms etc

BROADBAND MAIN MENU
Choose type IV.
or type1/or IIwith USB and LAN port. see the pictures and description.
Depends on various factors . maximum approx 100 feet. obstructions/rooms etc

essbebe: You may be right from the menu. the website says type IV is wireless + 4 lan connections. But, when i wanted to purchase the router/modem, i asked them for type IV (since i use laptop n other guys connect thru desktop), they said that type I and II are available. No III and IV. Type II is with 4 ports and Wireless. and i got type II. (WA3002G4). May be they might have taken off the wireless +Single USB port & 1 port + Single USB stuffs since that became obsolete.

Please check with them before you buy.... i got this connection in Jan 3rd...

Regards
appus

@appus After 1500 odd postings, it is becoming tiring to refer for finer details
regarding usage/modem rentals/type etc.
Give a margin for user to check up the details.
Better idea I will give the link/s only in future.
My posting :the web site link and also this
see the pictures and description.

@appus After 1500 odd postings, it is becoming tiring to refer for finer details
regarding usage/modem rentals/type etc.
Give a margin for user to check up the details.
Better idea I will give the link/s only in future.
My posting :the web site link and also this

Sorry if that hurted you.. I know it is tiring to check. I just updated the info i got. because i too felt the same way when i saw on Net.
Sorry again.. I know the difficulties/pain for answering all the questions !

sorry again

thanks for all your wonderful support. I wouldnt have joined this site if i've not seen replies from people like you

regards
appus

thanks guys for ur support,appus one more thing--if i use 900 UL plus will i get multiple simultaneous connection--that is will i be able to connect to the net with laptop and desktop simultaneously?is there anything called a multiuser and single user??and can u access the wi fi from any part of ur house(if yes then how far is the range--like essbebe said it depends on walls obstacles!!) or do u need to be in the same room as the modem?

That provoked another question. I have the internet connection in my desktop thru cable using cable modem (not a wireless one). Will I be able to share the internet connection with my laptop through bluetooth? Any idea? I mentioned bluetooth because it seems to be the only available means through which I can communicate wireless b/w my desktop and laptop.

thanks guys for ur support,
appus one more thing--if i use 900 UL plus will i get multiple simultaneous connection--that is will i be able to connect to the net with laptop and desktop simultaneously?
is there anything called a multiuser and single user??
and can u access the wi fi from any part of ur house(if yes then how far is the range--like essbebe said it depends on walls obstacles!!) or do u need to be in the same room as the modem?

I am using thru wireless from my room and router is in another room. I have even gone to terrace and browsed it. I have been to my friends rooms in upstairs, without any problem. Signal may drop but you can browse easily if you go for longer distance. DOnt worry if you are using anywhere in the house (even it is two or three storied building). (even the connection drops to 12Mbps from 54Mbps, or even to 1Mbps, you can browse with the same speed which you get on 54Mbps connectivity. it is just 256kbps connection !! 😀

Only problem will be copying files thru network will be veryslow compared to 100Mbps lan connection.

Single User and Multi User a quote from User Hulo

What I could gather so far is that Multiuser ADSL conections have better contention ratio. Contention means that the connection from your local exchange to the ISP is shared by other users. It is quoted as a ratio e.g 50:1 - meaning a maximum of 50 people will be sharing your allocated bandwidth (e.g. 512kbps). In actuallity the number of people sharing bandwidth is more complex it tends to be more like 3400 512kbps users sharing a 34Mbps connection, which means that a few users running at full speed have less of an affect on other users. In case of Multiuser connection, contention ratio is like 20:1. It is not necessary that such connections have multiple IPs. It depends on the agreement with the provider and they may charge more for giving multiple IPs. In case there is multiple IP (also called Multi-NAT) this is what I found -

"In the most common situation, NAT is used to translate from a single public IP address to multiple internal private IP addresses; we call that one-to-many NAT (one public IP address to many private ones). You may instead have multiple public IP addresses and want each of those to map directly to multiple internal private IP addresses; this is known as many-to-many NAT. In this way, internal PCs are addressable directly from outside, but on a public IP address rather than their actual internal IP address. Multi-NAT allows this - your ADSL router will allow you to build a table of which public IP address maps to which internal IP client address. DSL services for business users are largely sold as multi-user packages - i.e., designed to meet the broadband needs of 2-25 users on a local area network. (Most residential DSL services are designated for single-user use, although in theory, with some competent technical tweaking, more than one PC can also access them). 'Multi-user' can - and often is - confused with the number of IP addresses supplied as part of a service provider's package, and relates to issues included (or excluded) in individual Providers' terms and conditions."

I am using wireless for last 5-6 years. no issues so far. remember to secure it !

That provoked another question. I have the internet connection in my desktop thru cable using cable modem (not a wireless one). Will I be able to share the internet connection with my laptop through bluetooth? Any idea?
I mentioned bluetooth because it seems to be the only available means through which I can communicate wireless b/w my desktop and laptop
In Laptop, you may be having a Network port. You can make the incoming network connection (thru USB) as a server and use the N/w card as outgoing connection to Other Switch/Hub/Pc's. You can do thru Bluetooth (you will see a bluetooth Local Area Connection). Configure that as your outgoing. Simple Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) will do the job.

Regards
appus