WiFi Choupal / BSNL FTTH

ISP
Hathway/You Broadband/BSNL 3G/Vi 3G+4G/Airtel 4G/Jio 5G...
Hello,

My village has recently got "WiFi Choupal" installed at village council. This seems to be a common initiative between Common Service Center (CSC) and BSNL Bharat Fiber. They seem to work with so called Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLE). I'm planning to get FTTH connection for my home through them. Does anyone have experience with this? How is their service? Can I expect good/stable connection?

Cheers

did you got the fiber connection or not

It's a government initiative, you are likely to be in a wait list for a very long period of time.
If you are desperate, I'd suggest you start search for other options.
Prices seem to be a bit on the higher side and seeing Bsnl there's not much in terms of stability or reliability.

Hello All. I did manage to get an FTTH connection at my village home through the wifichoupal I initiative. I had to pursue this for some time before I could get the connection. I wrote some emails, got in touch with Local BSNL authorities, who then directed me to the dedicated Manager for BBNL (Bharat Net) in our region. The manager in turn directed me to the vendor assigned for our village. The vendor was reluctant to provide the domestic connection initially, but persistence helped.

The connection provided is not exactly FTTH (which involvesOLT and ONT) . Instead, here I have been connected to the central GPON in the Panchayat premises through a LAN connection with interspersed Optical Media converters (to transmit power over the long distance). The connection type is Pppoe with my exclusive ID and Password.

The speed is fine 20 Mbps for a 20 Mbps plan (Rs. 449/-).

The reliability is under evaluation. The connection has been installed for about a month now and has already been down for 8-10 days. The service is not very professional but atleast courteous. I am sure all this will improve with time.

Seems to be the installation is the standard cost cutting way most local ISPs do in cities.
How's the the real life test speeds? Is it stable when working?
You are way too optimistic, these things like disconnection don't improve with time. By the way, since they are using passive fiber all the way to Panchayat premise, I don't get why can't they just extend the same to your home, saves a lot of hassle and is the better option.

As I said, speed and reliability are yet to be assessed thoroughly. Living in the city and just occasionally visiting my village home I am yet work with the connection long enough to evaluate these. So far its just been You tube and casual browsing. These have been satisfactory.

I believe the vendor hasn't extended the fibre directly to my home as a measure of cost cutting on his part. Mine is the first Individual connection in our village. For classical FTTH he would have to deploy a costly OLT. Probably, in the future, as connections increase, he may take that route.

I am not exactly over optimistic about improvement, just hopeful. With my experience, I can say one thing for sure, BSNL, BBNL etc do have atleast some sincere people. With persistence and a proper direction, one get a lot of things out of them, atleast in my part of the country.

How does optical media converter transmit power?
Sorry for wrongly phrasing it. By power, I actual meant signal. A traditional LAN has Voltage Signal transmission distance of about 100 metres. My premises is about 800 metres from the panchayat. Hence the Optical media converters.