Wifi Broadband - Win XP - Reboot - Security

• Thread starter Thread starter advagj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,233

advagj

ISP
BSNL
Hi,I use a BSNL Home unlimited 750 plan. BSNL gave me a DNA-A211-I wifi modem. It is working fine. But when I connect the modem via wifi after sometime the laptop reboots after showing a blue screen for a split second. Strangely this does not happen if I do not hide the SSID or if I do not enable WEP PSK. Why does this modem seem to encourage only open wireless without any form of security. Can you suggest any solutions. I tried to hide my access point and set up security as I found that somebody was leaking my wifi broadband. Can you suggest any solutions? I hope someone can suggest a proper and simple way to secure my connection. Regards

Welcome to Broadbandforum.in
connect the modem via wifi
correction:
The laptop not connected to modem in any manner.
You were using it in WIFI mode.
showing a blue screen for a split second
you have presumed that because security keys were
incorporated in modem this happened.
OK. Then do you have to restart the laptop and
get connected to Internet all over again ?

Para two: see this link and check your security keys are
entered correctly.

mydataone.net/router/wa3002g4.html

In computer: Check Available wireless networks.
Any other Network is appearing ? secured or unsecured ?
can you connect to any ?

Hi essbebe,

Thanks the response. I really appreciate it.
OK. You are correct. I have little experience in these matters. In fact I know nothing. sorry about that.

I checked the link you gave, I think I have followed the procedure. I shall try once again and let you know. However the surprising aspect is that everything works well for about half an hour and then suddenly the blue screen comes and the laptop 'reboots itself'. After booting up it reconnects to the wireless broadband - but reboots again after sometime. the time period between boots varies from time to time.

There are several wireless networks around my house. I dont know from where. I live in a flat/apartment. Most of them are secure connections. I have seen only one unsecure, but very weak. I think somebody is tapping into my connection, which is why i tried to hide my access point and secure my connection. I am getting no help from BSNL. Its very frustrating.

I have little experience in these matters
same situation for me too ! Still trying to learn !
by trying/attempting solutions and
reading other contributer's posts.
I am M.A only ( Matriculation Appeared ! Also passed !!!)

Improve cooling for the laptop..

Lift the Laptop and don't let it lie flat.
( more airspace needed. )
Avoid keeping it in your lap.
(* using this way can be injurious to men !)
use a small fan.

If interested will suggest a program to monitor the
temp, and you can see when the BSD appears .

Hi Essbebe,{same situation for me too ! Still trying to learn !}well - it is amazing then how much info you have gathered by reading alone. Just an indicator of how useful this forum is - I guess. Hope it helps solving my problem also.{Improve cooling for the laptop.} Well - the blue screen event happens only after I connect to the net using wifi. Otherwise the laptop works fine for hours on end. No problems at all. The blue screen happens so fast that I cant even read what is written. It rapidly boots up again after that.{If interested will suggest a program to monitor thetemp, and you can see when the BSD appears } What program do you suggest? Where can I get it? I hope that someone will be able to solve my problem. There seems to be no basic instructions regarding wifi security on BSNL broadband. I mean in the sense of instructions for "real" dummies.

Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings ...untick 'Automatically Restart' and reboot. This is to prevent the Laptop from restarting when the BSOD occurs so that you can note down the error message accompanying it.In addition, you could try updating the drivers for ur Laptop's wifi card. Find out the model no. in Device Manager and google the same to see if there are anyupdates available.