Wi-Fi (VoWiFi) Calling on Reliance Jio?

Dhiraj

ISP
JioFiber
In iPhones, there's a feature called "With Wi-Fi Calling" using which you can place a phone call if you have a Wi-Fi connection in an area with little or no cellular coverage.

ios10-iphone6-settings-phone-wifi-calling.png

Source : Source : Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Apple's website confirms that Jio supports wifi calling :

2017-01-04_1311.png

Source : Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in Asia-Pacific

Has anyone tried using this feature ?

Regards,

Dhiraj

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they disabled this in june or july last year. Now you need be on jio network. Not sure though.
Maybe they specifically enabled it for Apple user citing their recent apple deals.

Same feature in samsung phones also. Not working as vowifi should appear instead of votle on switching on the feature and wifi.

I'll try this while I am connected to Jio's wifi network (via Jiofi). It may not work now, but good to know that they are provisioning this.

This feature would be really nice if it works. It will benefit people like me who have poor indoor coverage, we won't have to keep our phones in window sills to get cellular network imo.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Thanks guys, for making aware of this ...
I tried on my iPhone 5s ( Jio SIM & Airtel Wifi) , i couldnt see any option under settings--> Phone--> Wifi calling
Seems that Recent ioS update has disabled this option or JIO has to enable it for us.

Any word on this issue is much appreciated.

@igloo is correct, WiFi calling used to work on Jio till July, 2016 then it stopped working suddenly.

FAQ section in MyJio app mentioned WiFi calling as a feature in Jio network but they removed it at same time. It's a great feature when you have low coverage specially in indoors.

Don't know why Jio stopped this. They can have it as an USP. Many carriers in USA promote WiFi calling, e.g., T-Mobile and even Project-fi also.

I'm able to access it on my 6s. How can I tell if it's working or not?

5WKNhon.png

@manojrk go to some place like basement where you don't have Jio coverage but connected to WiFi.

Try to make or receive call or text.

Please report back the outcome.

I can't even make phone calls from 5s. Can use Jio sim only for internet and nothing else. I think Jio doesn't support in 5s.

That's correct sameer. Jio supports iPhone 6 and later for voice calls. If you use it in a 5s, you can only use data. This is because 5s does not have VoLTE feature. They may make an app for it later (like Jio4Voice on andriod) but we do not know when.

I'm able to access it on my 6s. How can I tell if it's working or not?

5WKNhon.png

As @igloo confirmed, this feature is not working as of now. But if they enable this, you will also need to connect to a wifi network for it to work (not sure if the wifi network should also be of Jio or any).

I think they'll enable it for jio fiber wifi network only.

As @igloo confirmed, this feature is not working as of now. But if they enable this, you will also need to connect to a wifi network for it to work (not sure if the wifi network should also be of Jio or any).
Probably the case. I didn't work for me.

Has anyone had any luck in making wifi calls using jio sim on jio fiber wifi connection ?

Current TRAI doesn't allows it. Acc to last update all operators except Jio oppose it.