Wi-Fi Signal Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

streamsurfer

ISP
Comcast
Hi All,I purchased Linksys(Cisco) Wi-Fi Router (WRT54G) a few days back.The problem is my Sony VAIO's Vista always shows the signal strength as Good. Even though if i place the Laptop right near or Top of the router.I know VIAO is not having any prob bec. i have used it with other wi-fi networks & at airports too with signal strength as Excellent being shown even though i was not in line of sight of the wireless routers.I have configured WRT54G with WPA2-Personal mode the channel is set to 11.Is it normal ?? Any suggestions to improve signal strength to "Excellent" from current status of "Good".

Not sure why you want the signal strength to be "excellent", unless of course it gives you a kick to see full signals. If the conenction to your laptop works fine, there are no dropped packets or disconnections - I think it should be good enough. Plus it will keep wi-fi piggybackers at bay, if you know what I mean...

🙂I confess that i am a Tweak freek & doesn't like to rest unless its done.sure i agree that "Good" works perfectly fine for me at entire house but perhaps one corner of my mind Q me why after spending more money over Linksys than over Netgear & getting 2 antena's over one i don't get "excellent" signal. Hence want to have an opinion of others as to what they r getting & modifications req. if any 😗Damn..:wall: in india we don't have return to store / manufacturer if not 100% satisfied concept unlike US.I got no problems of packet drops or disconnection issues... I cant for now test third party tools of Wi-Fi unless they r Vista compatable bec. i am stuck with OEM vista premium license of it with laptop. To make matters worse these days they put recovery in a separate partion of HDD. Although i can mirror the entire VAIO HDD & slap on XP Pro as it gives license to use on one Pc & one lappy if used personally.. but that's going into too much length just to check 1 issue..Perhaps i am crazy & will try it out just for the heck of it.. :ashamed:Will also love to install & dual boot linux.. am missing awk & vi 😛 Boy i really hate getting stuck by all these stupid license term crap..As far as piggybackers r concerned.. my locality has got only 6 houses near mine which could perhaps home in my signal.. rest area is covered by each of house lawns & roads & big trees. So not too much concerned.. but still have taken precaution.. Will be turning SSID Broadcast off in a day or two.. Have already changed default passwords, set MAC filtering on, full Length of non-easily guessable keys & WPA2-Personal (TKIP+AES) encryption on, remote management off...Anything else Doc ?? [ Bugs bunny style with carrot in one hand 😉 ] I always love to experiment with settings.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.