Why we still have broadband FUP even in 2022?

• Thread starter Thread starter havoc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 112
  • Views Views 7,979
You got Netplus homie?

Yeah they have a food footprint in Punjab.

Usually these smaller ISPs oversell their limited capacity.
This is the exact thing I'm trying to convey and excitel too does the exact same thing.
Unless there are way more ISPs that actually deal with traffic properly instead of going the cheap way of buying from tata, I doubt this FUP thing is ever gonna change.
And let's not forget it was JioFiber that brought this Unlimited Data FUP crap of 3.3TB.

Yep IIRC it was Airtel that first introduced 3300gb fup and the others followed suit.... Previously it was much lower.

@Lolita_Magnum even though they oversell I never noticed any reduction in speeds even during lockdown and peak hours. Also if small ISP's can do this with limited or small budget why these big ISP's who charge a lot more than smaller ISP's can improve themselves? I understand they have to balance user + QOS ratio but if they're charging premium for the same thing in names of QOS then there should be more perks to offer to end users. Else it's just like buying same thing directly from Mega Mart instead of farmers.

It depends on the service being used tho, @Lolita_Magnum most probably is talking about the transit speeds and the overselling of the same, while @havoc might be referring to peered services which generally would have way more headroom as in cost comparison peering would likely be comparatively cheaper than buying more bandwidth from the upstream provider. Both have separate pipes AFAIK. I might be wrong.

Although pretty much every ISP does oversell their capacity, but it is unlikely that every customer will hit their plan speeds to 100% at the same time (and this is what they assume as well).

@havoc You are only seeing your own example, there are thousands and thousands of bad stories about excitel. You are excited about excitel because it is working well for you. Excitel has no control over LCO, they have NO support, their network is restrictive as hell. These qualities of excitel suits you? well and good. For others, these qualities sound like a garbage ISP which excitel is. This is am saying based on multiple personal experiences with them.

Even if Airtel or Jio are more expensive, they have much better control on things. ISP like excitel have no SOPs, they do not even have standard equipments on the LCO side.

Yeah excitel is a hit or miss depending on the LCO.
their network is restrictive as hell
Can you elaborate on that?
Restrictive in what terms, as far as I know Jio seems to be the most restrictive in terms of user control.

because Indian mentality is for uncle to take 100mbps and then for uncle to divide it into ten different connections and share with his niece and cousin and friends in the same location

and the mentality of uncles who run isp is "Why you need more than 500gb data? What you doing with it? I only use 10gb every month for my whatsapp and youtube. 3300gb is already too much for hundred people"

Basically to prevent it from being used for commercial use, but I feel like it should be a little bit higher, it seems like the cap has been the same since 2018.