why upload speed on airtel v fiber has been restricted to 9 Mbps??

• Thread starter Thread starter tusharmegh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,775
ISP
Airtel
Just recently airtel has upgraded my plan to 100mbps due to Jio Gigafiber launch ( Jio has installed their fiber in front of my home nearly 3 weeks ago). I am still on vdsl2 , i would have loved to be on Airtel FTTH which would have given me symmetrical upload & download speeds. Coming back to my question, i am still puzzled why airtel is giving only giving 9 mbps of upload? Atleast they can give upload speeds nearly 1/4th (25 mbps) of the download speed. As per wikipedia page vdsl2 can support upto 50 mbps of upload speeds. I am from Lucknow.

My internet speed

8104335808.png

My line stats.
DSL Information

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream SNR (dB):
Downstream SNR (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2_Vectoring
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
Upstream CRC errors:
Downstream CRC errors:
Upstream FEC errors:
Downstream FEC errors:
Upstream HEC errors:
Downstream HEC errors:
DSL up time:
1 day 6 hours 15 minutes 32 seconds

https://192.168.1.1/html/advance.html#dsl_view_data

You can have 100 Up/Down if you live near the Exchange. (VDSL)

i am unable to quote. I live nearly 100 mts away from the exchange. Should i mail airtel and ask them to increase my vdsl upload speed?

I live far away from the exchange, as I was the first one to get any VDSL connection in my area that had only ADSL for long, due to the distance from exchange. That said, I used to get 5mbps upload (on a 24mbps download). I switched to 8mbps connection, then. It still had 5mbps upload. But, after a couple of months, it came down to 3mbps. I am not complaining, though, as it is still better than ADSL. However, my only aim to get VDSL is to have good upload speed. So, when they provided me with ADSL initially, I fought for VDSL that was provided about a month later. During the time, I made several calls to the other departments. In those conversation, from what I understood, the upload speed is never guaranteed and it depends on the plan (or the download speed). So, based on my experience, you could be getting better upload speed for 100mbps download speed. Give them a call and see what kind of reply you get. They usually don't give proper answer to upload speed related questions.

Now, I plan to dump VDSL altogether, as I started to use LTE for uploads that offers better speed than VDSL. VDSL was okay when we didn't have any alternatives.

If you use the connection for business, it is recommended to keep it. If you are casual internet user (who'd mostly watch videos), then it is recommended to switch to Jio Fiber. Jio Fiber is not recommended for gamers or for businesses.

i am unable to quote. I live nearly 100 mts away from the exchange. Should i mail airtel and ask them to increase my vdsl upload speed?

I couldn't find any documentation on what upload speed they are offering with the connection. You could always email them and ask.

Frankly I never thought we could achieve real world speeds of 100 Mbps on xDSL, good to know! 🙂

Airtel have always been miser wrt to upload speeds say it LTE or Broadband. Moreover, as per your present line stats the max speed you could achieve would be around 15mbps (Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 19632) before the SNR falls below the required threshold. This could change in the future given that Airtel deploys a local sub exchange or enhances other metrics (upstream output power)

I live far away from the exchange, as I was the first one to get any VDSL connection in my area that had only ADSL for long, due to the distance from exchange. That said, I used to get 5mbps upload (on a 24mbps download). I switched to 8mbps connection, then. It still had 5mbps upload. But, after a couple of months, it came down to 3mbps. I am not complaining, though, as it is still better than ADSL. However, my only aim to get VDSL is to have good upload speed. So, when they provided me with ADSL initially, I fought for VDSL that was provided about a month later. During the time, I made several calls to the other departments. In those conversation, from what I understood, the upload speed is never guaranteed and it depends on the plan (or the download speed). So, based on my experience, you could be getting better upload speed for 100mbps download speed. Give them a call and see what kind of reply you get. They usually don't give proper answer to upload speed related questions.

Now, I plan to dump VDSL altogether, as I started to use LTE for uploads that offers better speed than VDSL. VDSL was okay when we didn't have any alternatives.

If you use the connection for business, it is recommended to keep it. If you are casual internet user (who'd mostly watch videos), then it is recommended to switch to Jio Fiber. Jio Fiber is not recommended for gamers or for businesses.

I will call airtel customer and ask if they can increase my upload speeds. I have been an airtel customer for more than 9 years and their service has been outstanding. I could get jio gigafiber since they have already installed their fiber cables in front of my house but airtel has the best customer resolution. I am more into video streaming , my consumption is around 300 - 400 gbs per month.