Why there is no quality ONT for BSNL FTTH?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mohan Kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 7,201
ISP
BSNL
First thing is I can't find ONT for BSNL FTTH. Then after some research I found Syrotech and Netlink. But they suck. Cheap quality Plastic. Is there any quality alternative?
I found some threads here talking about imported Huawei ONT Modems. Are they better quality than Syrotech or NetLink? I want a simple 1GE ONT. I knew that the Router and Wifi is crap in those ONT Modem cum Routers.
The Basic ONTs that I knew are
Huawei HG8310M GPON ONT
Huawei HG8010H GPON ONT
Netlink V2801SG GPON ONT
Syrotech 1GE+1FE+1POTS (w/o WI-FI).

Among these which is better? Are there any better ones than this? Please clarify.

Personally I prefer Huawei ONTs. There is HG8120C as well, which supports both EPON and GPON and includes TEL port. I had few for sale, but all sold out now.

V2801SG is easily available though ONT-GPON-NETLINK SECURE ONT BEST SECURE FIREWALL USED

Yeah Huawei ONT`s are much reliable. Atleast their UI doesnt crash when we try to change settings. If your LCO supports Huawei , leave others and take that only. It has one standard

Last edited:
I found these models to be simple ONT MODEM without many ports and crap WI-FI.
Huawei EchoLife EG8010H
Huawei EchoLife HG8010H
Huawei EchoLife HG8110H
Huawei EchoLife HG8120H
Huawei EchoLife HG8012H
Huawei EchoLife HG8120C
Huawei EchoLife HG8310M

There is no quality ONT is available for BSNL Ftth because the LCO is respoy for Last mile connectivity with OLT and ONT and Fiber. So they look for cheapest option available in market. Very few who deploy GPON with highoend equipment.
Ex cost for 4 port EPON OLT
Any Chinese brand VSOL remake (optilink,Syro,DBC etc ) :42K
Same Brand 8 Port GPON : 100K

And for Genexix 8 Port GPON : 170K
Nokia 8 GPON : 190K

Now price for ONT is also differ by few 100s in Nokia and Genexix

There is cross vendor compatibility in each protocol EPON , GPON . Because all are regulated by 802.11 ,but the thing is there is performance degradation in Network on large scale if you use cross vendor.

Ex. If I want to use mix brand onts with Syrotech or any other brand olt , I'll never gonna achieve the full potential of That PON port , ideally it support 64 Connection per PON Port in EPON .but it I'm using mix brand onus not gonna register after 40-45 Connection ,(the number is different in each scenario)

So that's why some Brands want to maintain quality and lock there ONT and OLT.

Here in my city, the BSNL LCO doesn't actually rent or give the ONT and you have to buy it. On the other hand Airtel does everything for free as long as you take a 3 months plan. They provide Nokia ONT too.

This is the problem with BSNL LCO and I won't blame them for it. People will always look for cheaper ONT such as to lower the cost of already expensive fiber installation. In my opinion, the best bet is to buy a dumb Huawei ONT with single Gigabit port + 1 TEL port.