why the external ips are different in router and other sites of tests

Hi, sorry for late reply., since i had not received email alert as usual before. The explanation given by varkey is understandable. Ofcourse, the choice of providing ip rests with the bsnl. But what i had expected is ofcourse on the information to the users about using cg nat by them. Everything of this PSU is daily published as articles in news paper\s and others blog articles.
But academic interest, how many ips of four octets be given to one number, say 100 or any toher starting number

But academic interest, how many ips of four octets be given to one number, say 100 or any toher starting number

Number of IPs depends on the class of IP address and type i.e. V4 or V6. The last 3 octets in IPV4 goes from 1 to 254 each and then you have virtual LANs and sub nets to add even more. With the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 100.xxx.xxx.xxx IPs used in CG NAT I reckon there are 1000s available.

Hi, I am not strong on maths . so , i ask. In my older days i heard about permuaion and combinations , there should be possible way of finding . Each subnet is 255 maximum . So, fixing the first octet, there may be a way of knowing how much could be given.
ipv6 if is the order of the day, then bsnl could switch to it,
Does all other services also use only ipv4, like airtel etc or they switched to ipv6 a;readu.

Ipv6 is more common in 4G LTE but in the fixed broadband the ipv6 penetration is very low.act broadband is using ipv6 in some places.Airtel and bsnl as far as I know are yet to implement ipv6.
Implementing ipv6 is not that easy because there are multiple methods of doing it and has to be properly dual stacked with ipv4 inorder to have connectivity with both ipv4 and ipv6 sites.

Hi, from day before yesterday, bsnl shows the same external ip in my router and also in websites.
i do not know, why they have so far gave two different ips one in router and one in websites.
can expert guess

Hi, Nikhil sharma
please see the post 19 for the screen shot of the two ips.
Now the two ips, one on router and the other in the network meter shows the same
Imean the ip shown in wan configuration and the website ip as captured are one and the same.
i will try to send a screen shot

I could not edit and add the screen shot,as it uploads three pictures
uEOlPg5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, nikhil why no reply to my post.
i also do not know, how i got four images, shown, when i uploaded a single image.
I request the admin to tell how to remove , more than a image in my enclosure

Hi, nikil did you see the difference of external ip in both the figures. The first has 100 in router whereas 117 in websites, the ip we see it.
In the latest picture, i sent, you could see that both the router and external ip tally. in this connection, i asked the query , what could bnsl would have done it

I am not sure what you are trying to understand here. BSNL was testing something obviously and now they appear to have put you back in the original config.

A non publicly routable IP address ie 100.64.x.x as the WAN side IP address on the customer premises equipment would mean CG NAT being used. Now it being replaced with a publicly routable IP address mean, they have put you back to the previous configuration.

As to why they did that, we wouldn't know, the best guess is that it was for testing.

Nice reply. Would you say more on routable, non routable ips. is it non routable ip ,i.e., cg-nat.denotes the same Ips to more no of persons.
Is it also that if a computer affected or compromized in the case of a computer in getting more than one ip also affect the other computer logged on to the same ip.
What is actually cg nat. Please nikhil