why the external ips are different in router and other sites of tests

Hi, varkey, do you mean to say that bsnl is now using cg-nat to get me the ip allotment. Is there any way, to check if our bsnl started using cg.nat, which they hitherto have not touched.
I used to get the same ips both in router and on sites.
, normalThat would also be , same first octet in the gateway. Normally i have 117,36,45 etc.But the ips that is given in router tallied with the router.
Is there any check to see if bsnl uses cg nat or is it some kind of a third parties .

😕

It's not just to get you an IP address allotted, it's a full deployment approach. The behaviour you are describing is characteristic of NAT being introduced in between, there is nothing more to check.

hi, i have enclosed a jpg image, but after uploading the same, i could not find that in my post. did you see, hi, varkey
i have uploaded in this post also, but could not see it after uploading. i did not get any error messages. Could you see the enclosure

Hi,, i have done as per the procedure you described, but i could not see, here again i try
QXxhf4i.jpg

I see the image now, you need not mask out the IP address 😉 Can't really see the WAN IP address.

Either way BSNL appears to be slowly rolling out a NAT based deployment.

Hi, varkey thank you. i just gone to the link and found the ip address as usually shown in any other test websites. But you have given a exact lilnk , that gives some more instructions on the same page.
The page was look like dull typing so i could not read what is the other instructions. i took a print out of that page and then noted the contents.
Now, i am certain that bsnl uses cgnat , as ipv4 resouce is non existant now.
But did you see the alert, that if you use a cgnat by the ISP, it is not ok.
What is the issue , will you please expalin.
i do not think that i am only being given this kind of double ip numbers
what should we do now
why cannot bsnl upgrade to ipv6 please expecting your reply.
I already seen that link , but it also syas that if they are using 100x.x.x then, it is a clear sign of bsnl using cg nat.
please see why it is not ok, to use .

it costs money to upgrade infrastructure to support ipv6 and then maintaining both ipv4 and 6 will be another hassle (you cannot just use ipv6 because not all services in world support it yet).

Drawbacks of ipv4

1. Closed ports which causes problem with
  • gaming,
  • hosting a server,
  • connect remotely with cctv etc
2. Sharing same public ip causes
  • unusual browsing pattern so you get loads of google captcha,
  • if another user using same public ip spam on sites then site owners(anti spam tools) could ban ip resulting in everyone using that ip banned.
  • etc
3. etc. (google)

P.S. BSNL is a PSU so the whole sarkari attitude of using jugaad and not working unless they are forced to do it.

Last edited:
smh. Thanks for your reply.
does using CG Nat means the same ips are shared to many persons. Is it allowed.
I heard that static ips are given on users request, but dynamic ips are given one only for existing single connection. and this ip is same for the devies connected with the internet thro mobile wifi and alll that

please give your views on this But if it is shared to too many persons then , what will happen to the upload and download speed

Hi, rajneesh, can ISP allot the same external dynamic ips to more than one person. Is it done in CG NAT process?
Because, you are getting the ip for your connection and if it is the same and used in other parts of the area, would it not affect the performance of double users having the sam ip. and also, please tell, that are ips are shared to more than 2 persons or to number of persons.
I wrote to the bsnl , but the reply is just that the ip starting with , bsnl ips, and starting with 100 are all supplied by bnsl and no issue .But , why they are adopting cg nat suddenly without informating the users of it.
Long user of bsnl, but i do value transparency from the psu

Hi, why bsnl is not transparen in telling the users thro media, that it is using cg nat in view of the shortage of ipv4 numbers.
can the isp supply the same external ip to more than one person in its users. can it allot to more than two persons, the same ip via cg nat process.
Will not those affect the performance of the users of those ips, having same ips.
when i wrote to bsnl, it simply says, that besides the existing bsnl ips, 100 is also given by bsnl and no inssue at all
please give me your reply

It's mostly taken from a pool of IP addresses, depends on the configuration on their end, it can be one-to-one, one-to-many etc. Regarding the speed, short answer is no. Speed is not tied to the IP address.

Overall it doesn't affect 99% of the users, they don't care whether they get a public IP or if there is one more layer of NAT added. If you definitely need a public IP address, pay and opt for a static IP address.

I don't see an issue with this. Of course, I'd prefer if I get allotted a public IP address, but it's not the end of the world.

BSNL doesn't necessarily have to give any explanation for this, it is their choice on how they want to implement a solution. You are paying for a home broadband service, not anything enterprise level or even business grade.

Last edited:
BSNL doesn't necessarily have to give any explanation for this, it is their choice on how they want to implement a solution. You are paying for a home broadband service, not anything enterprise level or even business grade.

Seriously, this discussion about routes, ping times, jitter, speed tests (remember each ISP says "upto xyz Mbps") makes me think some should have opted for enterprise grade leased line connections instead of the 500-2000/month we all pay for our consumer grade connections. 🙂 The ISP's target audience at the price level we pay is mainly surfing, video/audio streaming, not even gaming or torrents.