why the external ips are different in router and other sites of tests

rajujayaraman

[OP]
Regulars
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, i have noticed this weird behaviour of showing two different ips , external ips on router and other sites .
Till yesterday, on checking both , the external ip given in router would tally with the test sites like speed net etc. but to day, i found the external ip router as different from router. The router shows , the ip, starts with 100,x,x,x which is not usual in bsnl. The ip would start from the correct bsnl owned ips with the gateway showing start with the same first octet.
But to day, i noticed that the reserved ips from iana start with 100 being shown in the router, where as the test sites different one actually belongs to the ISP, ie, bsnl
Do anybody noticed this
i tried reseting the router and after logging in also i found the router ip , showing as iana reserved , gateway shows as that of the BSNL
please experts and admin

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Oh no, 100.64.0.0/10 IP series is reserved for carrier grade NAT 😔😔 Could you please post the exact IP address?

Did you make any plan changes or enable VOIP or anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: ajgamer

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
@rajujayaraman are you on FTTH or ADSL? maybe BSNL is now slowly going to migrate to CG-NAT due to IPv4 address shortages.

So far my FTTH connection is still single public facing IP.

rajujayaraman

[OP]
Regulars
Mar 6, 2012
Hi if that is the case,how it shows correct ip on websites such as shields up speed test net. What else I could try

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
It's something done on their backend @rajujayaraman, it's basically a different configuration done on their side to reduce IPv4 usage as @vishalrao pointed out. You can read more online, look for CG-NAT (carrier grade NAT)

You can't do anything on your side to work around it unless you opt for a static IP address perhaps (which is chargeable).

Smh

Regulars
Nov 7, 2016
BSNL is using NAT system.

100.xx ip in your router is ip of bsnl server/router which will perform NAT (Network Address Translation). This ip can be routed outside of bsnl network.

Ex- if you connect your mobile to your wifi in settings you will see ip allocated to your mobile by your router like 192.x.x but in speedtest you will see your public ip.

rajujayaraman

[OP]
Regulars
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, i know something on what you say. But bsnl broadband users, please let me know, it is also yours. Normally IANA reserved addresses are not given as external ips day before yesterday. I also noted that , bsnl server starting 218.x.x.x is given as gateway in router.
i have checked and found that ipv6 is also enabled in my network configuration on the adaptor settings.
i tried system restore to rule out any injection.
No information of this change, if at all, by the service provider generally in news paper etc.
I am not able to give exact ips, but could say, that the router ip address starts with 100 andserver starts with 218 in router, and public ip of bsnl is shown in other sites starts with 117

rajujayaraman

[OP]
Regulars
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, vishal rao, noted your point. It is adsl modem not fth.
Will it show differently the public ip of one connection?
Could you please give link about cg nat and how bsnl is going to implement
Why not bsnl switch to ipv6, knowing well that ipv4 address is scarce.
I think that all other ISPs upgraded to ipv6. Is there any resource crunch for switching to ipv6

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Doesn't matter whether it's ADSL or FTTH in a way, BSNL uses the same backend infra for both. Maybe it's slowly being rolled out.