Why Organic Farming alone can't support us all

• Thread starter Thread starter blr_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 11,488
so the corrupt babus ok'ed bt brinjal.eat cancer brinjal and die.poor farmers now the seeds will be patented by monsanto and due to cross pollination the organic ones would also be claimed by monsanto.
i wonder how much monsanto paid to buy thier soul
http://ngin.tripod.com/111102a.htm

the farmers should revolt.burn the crops like other people do in other countires
http://www.gmwatch.org/component/content/article/1-news-items/10500-gm-rice-contamination-in-india-bt-brinjal-unsafe?format=pdf

French Team Says Genetically Modified Bt Brinjal Unsafe

India’s 1st Genetically Modified Vegetable Bt Brinjal Gets Environmental Clearance

a very sad day for 700million farmers.

GEAC nod to commercial release of Bt brinjal

"But opposing the GEAC decision, farmers' union the All India Kisan Sabha said: "There are many unresolved issues surrounding the environmental release of the transgenic vegetable as well as genuine concerns expressed over its safety for human consumption. There is also the added threat of all future seeds and therefore Indian agriculture coming under the control of global MNCs and the charging of extortionate prices from Indian farmers.""

making money is no1 priority even at the cost of 700 million farmers.

----------

"And Bt brinjal known to produce a protein in the vegetable cells that induce antibiotic resistance. This is seen as a major health problem. Rats fed with Bt brinjal had diarrhoea and a decrease in liver weight, and liver to body weight. Also, Bt brinjal appears to have 15 per cent less calories than normal brinjal. Farmers actually end up using a cocktail of pesticides as secondary pests increase on GM crops."

A much better article can be found here. Better in the sense, information than emotion.

Keep in mind that..

The Delhi High Court ruled, in March 2008, that geac is bound to provide information on GM crop trials under the Right to Information Act.

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/image/20090415/32L.jpg

Given a significant portion of our economy is still agriculture based, i'd expect standards to be strict. The consequences can be high otherwise and that includes election chances 😉

“The brinjal crop suffers 50-70 per cent damage due to the fruit and shoot borer (pest). This loss translates to Rs 1,000 crore per annum,”

I was in the market today selecting brinjals, and was inspecting what was on display in a shop, over 50 per cent of it had holes. i left with just 2 after looking at maybe 20 !!!

Very few GM crops are at the trial stage currently around the country. Brinjal, rice, mustard. Its curious to note that of all states only mine & the tamils have the most GM crops under R&D. This means these 2 states will likely be the test lab for the country.

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/image/20090415/33L.jpg

In India, agri-biotech industry officials promote genetic modification as a means for food security. “We don’t need Bt brinjal or any GM food crop. gmos have nothing to do with food security,” said Rajeshwari Raina, senior fellow at the Centre for Policy Research. She asked how could the companies claim that gmos are safe for consumption when there is not enough research. With the right agriculture practices, India can produce a lot more, she said.

That line there is a major rebuttal on my first article that started this thread.

It seems the gold standard is we need to have more tests and preferably on animals & humans as not enough has been carried out to prove conclusively that certain GMOs are safe.

EU tested the shit out of GM foods.they have the best regulatoty etc stuff.tell them to eat gm foods.hell india wont be able to tap in EU food market if gm crops are norm here.I was watching ndtv and they said that the govt allowed import of gm stuff in 2007 without telling the consumer that is it gm foods or not.what happened to consumer rights?what happened to choice?

What about the US tho, that article i posted gives the impression they are also not eating GM but only using it in processed food. Is that true or not ?Yes they are using it in processed food but how much GMO are they eating whole is my question ?

US is sold,their FDA chief is from Monsanto.lmao that is what the hypocrisy is.USA is the most corrupt and thats why cancer rates in USA is now soo high

Thats too steeped in politics, im not interested in ppl that have made up their mind that GMO is evil and refuse to be told otherwise, its like a religous discussion then instead of a rational one. Better to have less sensationalised articles that are more objective.Look the test is simple, safe or not, but then these activists keep on slaming the tests.The fight is over two concepts, substantial equivalence or precautionary. Given how little we know it seems safer to go with the latter but you can only do this on a case by case basis and then be able to interpret the results. More tests or not until success.GMOs are not going to go away, we just need to be more intelligent about where & when to use them or not. At this point the answer is somewhere between yes and no, whereas ten years ago it was mostly no.

if you were a farmer then you will know what GM crops can do to you.you loose your seed sovereignty,you loose your farming freedom.you become a serf to the MNC landlord.

----------

no wonder why naxals exist and are increasing.Though i dont support their way but this is inevitable.people wont sit and watch thier lives being taken over by globalists.

Thats already the case right now. Where does it say you lose your soverignety ?The issue is over profits by stemming loss. if you ask me a farmer is the last person i'd ask for an opinoin on this because if they make more they will be all for it. The only thing that might make them think otherwise is if customers turn their noses up at their produce like happens in europe. So the activists are out there well networked & funded drumming up anti-GM sentiment.The only thing that matters is the tests and whether they are acceptable. Then we look at how the devleloped countries behave to these tests. to & fro but this can go on forever 🙁

"The only thing that matters is the tests and whether they are acceptable. Then we look at how the devleloped countries behave to these tests. to & fro but this can go on forever"lets hope that the tests are in public domain as all the previous tests were done and are being done in secret.

Trial results by GEAC as has been mentioned earlier are open to RTI in this country. So there is no question of anything done in secret.What i don't understand and your articles do not explain is how we went from Aril 2009 where we had those 2 reports questioning the GEAC tests to commercial authorisation today as is mentioned.This means that either more tests were conducted or explanations were given as to be acceptable. But where is that info ?

for whom ?

Farmers have expectations, if it works out against them the market will have delivered a response. Otherwise its more difficult to say...

Go to GEAC's site and see the work they have done for brinjal.

Decisons taken at their meetings are here, no mention of bt brinjal in there tho as per the latest one, too early i suppose but this is where it will be posted when ready.

Govt. still has to okay it. There will lots of opposition.

“India is the centre of origin and diversity of brinjal. If Bt brinjal is approved, this will be the first time in the world that a GM crop is allowed in its centre of origin/diversity, risking our bio-diversity. If China can say ‘No’ to GM soy and if Peru can refuse GM potato, why can’t India say ‘No’ to Bt brinjal,” asked Jaikrishna of Greenpeace.