Why is the Govt delaying HITS platform??

• Thread starter Thread starter karthik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 5,269

karthik

Telecom Analyst
ISP
Airtel
HITS - Or Head end in the sky is a concept proposed by Essel Zee's Subhash Chandra. It is basically a commercial format once if given a go ahead will address a couple of things- to begin with - 1. CAS - Conditional Access System meaning a set top based (smart card) premium or pay channel subscription access device to demerge charges of FTA & Pay channels for a subscriber. Meaning a subscriber need not pay for all of the 200 odd channels a cable TV operator dishes out, he can at his consent pick & choose & pay for the channel of his choice. CAS is already addressed as of now through DTH, Digital Cable & IPTV. These would be the fourth model to fullfill CAS.2. Wireless MSO - Wireless Main Signal Operator. : There would be an single HITS satellite similar to a DTH satellite dishing out close to 300 or 350+ channels. The LCO - Local cable operator will have an minimal hardware hooked on to the wireless MSO (Read HITS operator). This way by going wireless the HITS operator saves CAPEX & OPEX on the highly expensive & cumbersome last mile Local loop (Optical fiber or Co-axial copper cable or 3d party telco bandwidth charges). Also the MSO is free of any signal outages due to cable cuts in local loop either intentional (by competion) or otherwise.3. Single wireless platform availability: HITS satellite is basically making available satellite TV signals from various satellites (like NSS, INSAT 3B, 3C etc, etc) in to a single HITS satellite. Basically there is an Earth station at the HITS operator end having a massive infrastructure to down link TV signalls from all satellites having the footprints in a particular market. Once downlinked these satellite TV signals is encrypted (both FTA & PAY channels) & uplinked to a HITS satellite, the LCO then hooks on wirelessly to a single HITS satellite to downlink these channels & uncodes them for distribution to the retail cable subscribers.4. HITS operators or wireless MSO operators may be one of the answers for the future of cable TV distibution systems the country should witness, wonder why the govt is sleeping on HITS policy which is a WIN-WIN situation for the consumers & operators alike!! Government of INDIA - Ministry of information & broadcasting - pls awake!!😱hyea:

i think Hits has no advantages for the end consumer.your tv service will still be prone to cable cuts i.e. the cable coming from the cable operator to our house.as u r saying of conditional access, it can be implemented in current tv dth services.its with the companies that they put this feature or notit only has some advantages for the cable guy

Dear Shevy, Look at the fact that it will open an unorganised Cable TV distribution industry in to one small step in organised industry. Also it will help TV channel operators in declaring correct TRP ratings based on subsciption services. Again an advantage would be it would prevent under-declaration in pay TV subscriber numbers.Anyways I agree on your count that end consumer does not have much to cheer other than the cable TV distribution industry.Cheers :urock:

I think the option to single out channels that we want to watch will greatly reduce the income of the now populous DHT providers,and so, i think they constantly pay huge bribes to the govt officials to delay HITS. I have no inner knowledge and yet i'm sure this is the case.

first should throw out the cable operators out of the field and each customer should be provided with a DISH and STB for this HITS project