Why is airtel so incompentent

• Thread starter Thread starter rxuser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 3,022
Is the shape of the bell curve the same for every company?

I mean... Is it always 15% on either side and 70% in between?

That's right. That's the normal statistical distribution occurring naturally in the world. This is the fundamental principle in HR management based on which the entire performance assessment system is derived in all companies all across.

In the past I've done appraisals for a dozen+ direct reports and indirectly (2nd level) for several dozens reporting into them.

The bell curve is just a theory and as a manager I've had to force fit people into a lower slab just because HR and my boss insisted. So if one were to critically examine the bell curve it would fail to account for hidden and undiscovered talent. We should not be so quick to dismiss latent skills and capabiltiies. Check this: Why Companies are ought to move away from bell curve model

As for lack of knowledge, blame that on our education system and the selection process in higher education & even in IT companies. I held those people who interviewed and hired a duffer responsible and that's how it has been in many corporates for a long time. Rule: Do not hire till you are reasonably sure and don't treat tthis as a tick in the box exercise. Because the team pays the price later on for a laggard's lack of progress.

PS - I've done 360 deg. appraisals too as both appraisee and appraiser. This I believe is a more well rounded method of assessment.

Last edited:
@rohitks I would say your voip complaint is going to go out in vain most probably. I got a solution for my static ip problem, the engineer after doing everything told to get bridge mode and configure on my own router. They were not too technical prople so were not able to work with my router as there was no training so I agreed to get bridge mode on LAN4 ( which they a few months back denied that it is not possible) and configured it on my own.

The biggest problem currently is the router settings are locked and the engineers cannot change the settings they know and even the customers. And their backend is buggy and each time they push some settings it may or may not work.

Literally they are making their routers unusable and unfixable so bridge mode is the only solution unless airtel fixes the back and forth between field engineers and their backend teams

As a guy who works in IT i agree with @Chip. Except for top tier colleges most of them have backwards course structure and unskilled teachers.
A lot of the students I have met are also of the mindset of "If I do IT I would be able to get some job or another" and they don't really have any interest or work to develop their skills. Faking in interviews, cheating do get them to some position (I saw this this in the interview process of many companies that it is very easy to do) but then they become a liability for a team.

They do come cheap but are also the biggest headaches and create the biggest mess that someday someone else has to clean after they leave for something better. For some people I even wonder how the hell did they clear the interview but well this the current situtation, what can we do.

Some companies do adopt pushing people into bell curve because managers have a tendency to give higher ratings to their subordinates because the moment they identify non competent, it’s also a reflection of their lack of leadership skills. It depends upon the company culture totally.

So, there’s always a normalization process adopted by many companies to eliminate such abnormalities.

For me OP is shouting because he is getting repeated bad experience of non competence from airtel. What I am saying is this is universal not just Airtel because the probability of the person from 70% of the range interacting with you is higher. Once I went to ICICI bank kothrud pune branch to get a demand draft and the lady at the counter started asking her manager how to issue a DD!!

About my VOIP issue Airtel could not resolve it despite giving then so much of tech pointers. They finally replaced my router and with locked FW back to 16B pushed the changes from backend as if it’s a new account. I got all the way again welcome messages and SMS that my new account has been setup and things like that.

All my tryouts were experimental, so I am ok with locked FW. Have asked NOC to setup bridge on LAN4, yet to hear from them.

Last edited:
Result of normalisation, like the rest of the appraisal process itself, is made to fit the bell curve. Been there done that. And then comes salary increments...the 2nd pain in the a$$.

Sorry guys appraisals are mostly a joke and do not really reflect on 'talent' but just a snapshot of what you have done in that period of time.
Remember we are humans and we cannot expect machine like consistency in performance from a person from month to month year to year..some may do it but it's exceedingly rare. It can vary due to many factors including health, ability to grow, background factors like family etc.

I think the thread is going OT so I'll stop here.

Happy to say now that I have gotten static ip on the ZTE router itself. Followed the telnet guide to unlock the router and set my static IP.
I was not getting ipv6 address with it which I also needed so created another wan profile with my PPPOE and made it ipv6 only. Now I have both a static IPV4 and a IPV6 address.

Thanks people for finding these nice things that makes our lives easier unlike airtel who is making these small things a hell to change