Why doesn't my computer play HD Videos ?

• Thread starter Thread starter icycool25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 19,413

icycool25

Greatest P2P Downloader
ISP
BSNL Broadband 750 UL @ Rs.500 pm
Hi Guys, 😉

Well I am really in a mess. The other day I was trying to play some HD Videos and my computer just wont play them. Yesterday I was trying to play a true 1080p HD file worth 113 MB which was actually just a 2 min movie clip. And guess what...? None of the Media Players would play it :S - Not Windows Media Player [though I didnt expect it to play it 😛], Not QuickTime :huh:, and not even VLC Player...! 😱 I expected VLC to play it atleast. Anyways - Heres what happens when I try to play it with any of the above players - The screen just goes black for sometime and after about 15-20 seconds, the screen resumes, but all the icons are bigger and the color display changes to 4-bit sysem. In other words, the screen looked like as if my computer was in safe mode. I could still hear the audio of the file playing but the video of the same wasn't visible.

So to solve this, I downloaded DivX player and thought it would resolve the issues. But no go...!! :ishock: I somehow managed to take a snapshot while the file was playing in DivX and here it is :

The strange part of it is that with DivX player I was able to see the video playing as well unlike the other players where only audio was coming. You can see that in the snapshot. Its a movie clip of the sixth Harry Potter film. Anyways, now the most important part -

My Computer's Configuration :

Windows XP Home Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 ; 2.00 Ghz
384 MB of Ram
Screen Resolution was set at 1024 x 768 pixels. [It can be inscreased further though.]
Intel (R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller - Video Card. [I am not sure of this, but this is what I found in "Display Adapters" under Device Manager.]

So, I just want some help from you guys. 😛leasehelp: It would be great if any solution is presented. It would be great if you guys can suggest so as to what hardware I need to add and/or software upgrades[if any], etc.

Thank You !

Judging from this screenshot, you don't have any drivers installed. I had a 845 gigabyte board with 2ghz celeron proccy and it played 1200x530 mkv video without any problem. Didn't use graphics card or anything. Though the processor fan made a lot of noise whenever i played mkv files. Post a screenshot of your device manager page.

Judging from this screenshot, you don't have any drivers installed. I had a 845 gigabyte board with 2ghz celeron proccy and it played 1200x530 mkv video without any problem. Didn't use graphics card or anything. Though the processor fan made a lot of noise whenever i played mkv files. Post a screenshot of your device manager page.

I think you are right..

^^I guess you guys didn't read this part of the post:

Heres what happens when I try to play it with any of the above players - The screen just goes black for sometime and after about 15-20 seconds, the screen resumes, but all the icons are bigger and the color display changes to 4-bit sysem. In other words, the screen looked like as if my computer was in safe mode. I could still hear the audio of the file playing but the video of the same wasn't visible.