Why doesn't my computer play HD Videos ?

• Thread starter Thread starter icycool25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 19,418

icycool25

Greatest P2P Downloader
ISP
BSNL Broadband 750 UL @ Rs.500 pm
Hi Guys, 😉

Well I am really in a mess. The other day I was trying to play some HD Videos and my computer just wont play them. Yesterday I was trying to play a true 1080p HD file worth 113 MB which was actually just a 2 min movie clip. And guess what...? None of the Media Players would play it :S - Not Windows Media Player [though I didnt expect it to play it 😛], Not QuickTime :huh:, and not even VLC Player...! 😱 I expected VLC to play it atleast. Anyways - Heres what happens when I try to play it with any of the above players - The screen just goes black for sometime and after about 15-20 seconds, the screen resumes, but all the icons are bigger and the color display changes to 4-bit sysem. In other words, the screen looked like as if my computer was in safe mode. I could still hear the audio of the file playing but the video of the same wasn't visible.

So to solve this, I downloaded DivX player and thought it would resolve the issues. But no go...!! :ishock: I somehow managed to take a snapshot while the file was playing in DivX and here it is :

The strange part of it is that with DivX player I was able to see the video playing as well unlike the other players where only audio was coming. You can see that in the snapshot. Its a movie clip of the sixth Harry Potter film. Anyways, now the most important part -

My Computer's Configuration :

Windows XP Home Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 ; 2.00 Ghz
384 MB of Ram
Screen Resolution was set at 1024 x 768 pixels. [It can be inscreased further though.]
Intel (R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller - Video Card. [I am not sure of this, but this is what I found in "Display Adapters" under Device Manager.]

So, I just want some help from you guys. 😛leasehelp: It would be great if any solution is presented. It would be great if you guys can suggest so as to what hardware I need to add and/or software upgrades[if any], etc.

Thank You !

your pc is the problem. looking at your configuration, i'd be surprised if your computer can handle 720p...

you need way better hardware bro... nothing much else can be done.you may try 720p, but I think you'd need at least 512 Mb ram to run it smoothly...

Considering it is a 845G chipset, I don't think it has a PCI-E slot. All GPUs of today are PCI-Express. And no point in adding anything to this rig. Just make it as a second PC and get a new PC1 for yourself if you want to be able to play HD videos and all the other newer facilities.If you still want to play any of that stuff, try getting AVC codec installed and then try playing. This time, also install Vista codec pack and Media Player classic and play using this. It might work. What format is your HD Video? Whatever it is, VLC does not have hardware acceleration. Whereas in MPC, you can enable that option. So, try doing that. And don't get the full MPC which has some codecs of its own included. Get the one from "Shark 007" (the stripped version) which will take the codecs from the vista codec pack. This might work. Try and let us know.

^^I have an athlon 3000+ with 1 Gb ram and 256 ram ati card and 1080 still won't run on my setup without hogging the cpu. Believe me I've tried everything under the sun including the coreavc codec, kmplayer, mplayer etc., but no go...Edit1: I haven't tried shark's mpc, so I'm going to give that a go now 🙂Edit2: Tried it, but still hogging the cpu 🙁. (I'm playing an m2ts file from a blu-ray)

I don't think it will need a graphic card.
I have 512 MB of RAM and 1080p HD videos plays smoothly.😀

You must be having an on-board graphic controller.

@icycool25: My older PC is also having a similar configuration except that its 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB RAM. I also cannot play any HD movies (not even 720p). The same problem occurs when I try to play one.

What rkarthea told about 845G chipset is correct. Your motherboard won't be having a PCI-Express slot.

I don't know whether there exists a PCI to PCI-Express converter but even if you get one you still won't be able to play 1080p because of the limitations of your present hardware configuration.

Your system specs are not good enough to play HD. H.264 formats require lot of computing power so you need a good GPU.
Check out the specs for playing HD content on Apple website: Apple - QuickTime - HD Gallery - System Recommendations

A big thanks to you for replying to my query. And thanks a lot for posting the essential link. Going by the specs, as mentioned by Apple, I guess I need to upgrade my RAM first to 1 GB. My system documents mention that my PC is upgradable for upto 2 GB of RAM. So I guess the RAM prob is sorted. But my process is 2.0 Ghz. So is it possible to supposedly update my processor to 3.0 Ghz...?? 😕 Sorry if I sound a bit novice, but I dont have much idea about this. :ashamed:

----------

@icycool25: My older PC is also having a similar configuration except that its 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB RAM. I also cannot play any HD movies (not even 720p). The same problem occurs when I try to play one.

What rkarthea told about 845G chipset is correct. Your motherboard won't be having a PCI-Express slot.

I don't know whether there exists a PCI to PCI-Express converter but even if you get one you still won't be able to play 1080p because of the limitations of your present hardware configuration.

Thanks for replying. So have you done something to solve this ? Plz share if any of your methods worked.

both upgrades are somewhat complicated. you would have to find out what type of RAM you have on your machine. you might face more problems if all of your slots are already occupied. same case with processor. you would have to find out what processors your motherboard supports. you would have to discard your existing processor to incorporate the new one. in case of RAM as well, you might find out that your existing RAM might not be usable with the new ones.

both upgrades are somewhat complicated.

you would have to find out what type of RAM you have on your machine. you might face more problems if all of your slots are already occupied.

same case with processor. you would have to find out what processors your motherboard supports. you would have to discard your existing processor to incorporate the new one.

in case of RAM as well, you might find out that your existing RAM might not be usable with the new ones.

Ya, well I know one thing for sure that there are 2 slots for RAM in my CPU, 1 has a 128 MB Ram, the other one has 256 MB Ram. So probably I would have to take out any one of the Ram and put in a Ram worth the difference MB. I dont think a RAM upgrade would be a prob since my system documents say that my machine is capable of handling upto 2 Mb of Ram.

As far as processor is concerned, I have no idea about it. 😕

----------

Thanks to blu and piyush for replying. I guess I would go for a RAM upgrade first.

Considering it is a 845G chipset, I don't think it has a PCI-E slot. All GPUs of today are PCI-Express. And no point in adding anything to this rig. Just make it as a second PC and get a new PC1 for yourself if you want to be able to play HD videos and all the other newer facilities.
If you still want to play any of that stuff, try getting AVC codec installed and then try playing. This time, also install Vista codec pack and Media Player classic and play using this. It might work. What format is your HD Video? Whatever it is, VLC does not have hardware acceleration. Whereas in MPC, you can enable that option. So, try doing that. And don't get the full MPC which has some codecs of its own included. Get the one from "Shark 007" (the stripped version) which will take the codecs from the vista codec pack. This might work. Try and let us know.

Well I have already mentioned in my first post that it is a true 1080p vid worth around 113 MB but its just a 2 min vid....!!

Well I dont have MPC, but I can download that. Anyways...It would be great if you can provide me with the download links for Shark 007 and AVC Codec pack. And thanks a lot for taking out time and replying to my post.