why do south indians despise Hindi?

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 15,982
W

warthog

Why is it that i never see talking them in hindi?.My familiy once visited ooty and they were telling me that the taxi driver at the rly station was not talking to them properly and was talking in english.Why the hate towards the matra bhasa?

this is only FOR native south indians btw

thomas paine on unity
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ri1b8j8gG5A

The same reason why i don't see North Indian's speak in Tamil.

Ok as a southie I wish to answer this! and whatever I answer is my humble opinion which I am entitled to and please take no offense!The thing is in South India mainly TamilNadu, when I was young, we werent asked to learn Hindi as a language. Also Tamilnadu as a state should have made efforts to make every school have Hindi as a compulsory language.. So a majority of people in Tamilnadu incl myself DON'T KNOW HINDI!Next, the govt. itself keeps creating an aversion to learning Hindi by writing names of places/people/roads in Tamil and not Hindi... and also by providing special benefits to Tamilians thus ignoring other people!The main culprit acc to me is the Tamilnadu politicians and govt!And also there is a cold war which exists between North indians and South indians due to the fact which I've mentioned below!.... I've seen on a regular basis, North Indians speak to each other only in Hindi even in public places here! I mean the general rule is that People should speak in a Universal language known to everyone in that place right? Namely English when it comes to corporate sectors like IT etc.. Also some south indians use tamil infront of public where northies are present! This is kind of being selfish by forming a language group and also bad manners acc to me!We should all stay united and use a language which everyone understands.. More than Hindi, all south indians know and understand English better which is why we answer in English!I personally wanted to learn Hindi from my younger days but alas due to some personal reasons I couldnt! I do like seeing Hindi movies and interacting with people all over India! At the end of the day we are all brothers and should help each other form a better India for future generations!

Ok as a southie I wish to answer this! and whatever I answer is my humble opinion which I am entitled to and please take no offense!

The thing is in South India mainly TamilNadu, when I was young, we werent asked to learn Hindi as a language. Also Tamilnadu as a state should have made efforts to make every school have Hindi as a compulsory language.. So a majority of people in Tamilnadu incl myself DON'T KNOW HINDI!

Next, the govt. itself keeps creating an aversion to learning Hindi by writing names of places/people/roads in Tamil and not Hindi... and also by providing special benefits to Tamilians thus ignoring other people!

The main culprit acc to me is the Tamilnadu politicians and govt!

And also there is a cold war which exists between North indians and South indians due to the fact which I've mentioned below!....

I've seen on a regular basis, North Indians speak to each other only in Hindi even in public places here! I mean the general rule is that People should speak in a Universal language known to everyone in that place right? Namely English when it comes to corporate sectors like IT etc.. Also some south indians use tamil infront of public where northies are present! This is kind of being selfish by forming a language group and also bad manners acc to me!

We should all stay united and use a language which everyone understands.. More than Hindi, all south indians know and understand English better which is why we answer in English!

I personally wanted to learn Hindi from my younger days but alas due to some personal reasons I couldnt! I do like seeing Hindi movies and interacting with people all over India! At the end of the day we are all brothers and should help each other form a better India for future generations!

Well don't you thing it will be burdening to children asking them to learn 3 languages.

more the merrier. i believe kids in europe learn multiple languages. spanish/english/french for example. 😀

Is it compulsory for them(Europeans). And then there is also our syllabus which is different from Europe.

You know what driod you have hit the nail on the head.That is the main reason😛olitical parties.I think DMK is a family party which puts the nehru-gandhi to shame.They know that the only thing that keeps them in power is nepotism and to make it solid foundation they manipulated the entire state by keeping their people under ignorance of the native language hindi.Its all politics,it has nothing to do with pride.Remember sanskrit is the real language and all other world languages are offshoot of sanskrit including hindi which is closest in resemblance to sanskrit.I have studied sanskrit in 6,7,8 class but sadly i couldn't understand it fully.hell i failed in my mother language hindi in board exams!.

I think point here is not why North Indians dont speak in English. But why South Indians dont learn Hindi.English is not natural language for most of the Indians. Grammar is also completely different. Most of ppl still find it difficult to speak.Whereas Hindi is supposed to be national language so South Indians, in general, should learn to speak it. Ok its not compulsory but for national integrity it should be learnt.

Well this kind of thinking is what keeps us away from national Integrity and could challenge the very foundation of India as a nation. In my point of view learning English is better than learning Hindi. If you learn Hindi you could only communicate with the Indians where as if you learn English you could communicate with the people all over the world.

What thinking does it portray here? I didnt think negative or hatred for anyone.The point here is to learn national language and not a global language.Every country in the world has national language and as far as I know in most countries all the people know to speak their national language.

Well the thing here is On what basis the national language is chosen just because people in seven states speak hindi so people from other state also learn this is not valid. If you look at japan the whole country speaks one language same with the countries who has a single national language this logic can not be applied to India.I like the thing which is going on now would like to keep it that way.

See... u r not getting the point.. this is abt unity and more about communicating with fellow citizen.Go to Punjab, they all know Punjabi as well as HindiGo to Rajasthan, they all know Rajasthani as well as HindiGo to Gujarat, they all know Gujarati as well as HindiGo to Maharashtra, they all know Marathi as well as HindiAnd I already said its not compulsory... my point is.. if we need to have a language which most ppl can speak and use to communicate within the country then hindi seems to be most viable option.But I suppose within 3 decades, English will take over.

Amish, dude.. I agree that Hindi seems to be the only viable option to communicate within the country but please try to understand one thing.. Due to the f*cking politicians and their bad@$$ govt we south indians are suffering! Also after a particular age people will NOT be able to grasp as much nor will they have the same interest or time to learn Hindi (with ofcourse few exceptions) even if they want to!So hereafterwards atleast you can make a difference by speaking in English in your workplace when there are Indians across the country working with you! 🙂

I am ok with people who on their own interest want to learn Hindi the only thing i am against is making Hindi a compulsory subject.For me English is the best option for us South Indian's to communicate with North Indians.

Because most North Indian Languages are based on Devanagari script !and many words are common ! ( Sanskrit based also )South Indian languages like Kannada/Malayalam/Tamil/Telugu scripts are different.( all branded "Madrasi" language by most North Indians)Apart from learning own language script and compulsory English script, it is difficult to learn another script ( Unequal load to students of South India ) 90% population of any State, have no need to move out of their State. What binds, is the Hindu Religion and not Language.People from North come to Rameswaram/Tirupathi/Tirumala etc and People from South go to Kashi ( Benaras) /Badrinath/Kedarnath/Gaya etc for Pilgrimage. Hindi is already a "Spoken" language in South, with a limited vocabulary due to influence of Bollywood movies. Thread title is misleading and a sweeping generalisation.