Why do most of the CD/DVD drives stop working?

• Thread starter Thread starter sean1880
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,852

sean1880

Regular
ISP
tata docomo gsm, mtnl
Has anyone ever wondered that the CD/DVD drive ina computer or laptop or any dvd player is one of the most unreliable piece of hardware even more unreliable than hard disks. In my experience i have seen many disk drives fail (either they are unable to read the disc,tray doesn't come out or the drive is not recognised etc etc). Why is it so?? Can't they be made more reliable?? And same may be case with the new highly expensive blue ray playes...what do u guys think??and how many of u guys have become annoyed due to these crappy drives which didn't work when u needed them the most?? Don't u feel that the optical disc technology should be phased out??

I have not had a CD/DVD drive go bad in about 12 years of using PCs/Laptops. I have a couple of spare unused CD Writers actually bought in times of madness and deals in the US😱

i have had enough bad luck with cd/dvd drives. even though i use the drive i have like twice a year, there is a 50% chance that they would be dead when i am going to try to use them next. this has been happening for years now. i stopped relying on dvds/cds long time back for the same reason. i do not remember how many units i have purchased in the last decade. it's almost like... i have to buy a new one everytime i have to reinstall windows on my machine that is like once or twice a year depending upon how lucky i am. 😀

I have seen CD drives going bad every year. Now i stopped buying them! 😀

I have seen CD drives going bad every year. Now i stopped buying them! 😀

Where do you backup those important data?

i have had enough bad luck with cd/dvd drives. even though i use the drive i have like twice a year, there is a 50% chance that they would be dead when i am going to try to use them next.

this has been happening for years now. i stopped relying on dvds/cds long time back for the same reason. i do not remember how many units i have purchased in the last decade. it's almost like... i have to buy a new one everytime i have to reinstall windows on my machine that is like once or twice a year depending upon how lucky i am. 😀

You've spoken my mind

I don't use CDs. But I use DVDs as backup. I regularly shuffle the contents on multiple DVDs for safety. I use LASERTras, Writex, Sony, Moserbaer DVDs.For DVD drive I have a LG Super-Multi DVD Writer (sata). HDDs are getting cheaper time by time. So for backup, HDDs are good and stable option for people with some little more bucks.

I also stopped using them. Pendrive/External HDD for data backup & online for downloads. Very rarely do nowadays I need discs to install software - most of it is online. Only when system crashes (which is less when compared to my earlier years) do I need a set of discs to install Windows,Office & other basic stuff. Otherwise I download rest all from the web.

Where do you backup those important data?

2 gmail accounts / 2 yahoo mail accounts..thats sufficient.. I send 1 e-mail and get backup at 4 places!