Why can't Airtel provide IPTV?

ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber
Hi, recently got a new airtel ftth connection (999 plan with 200 mbps speed). While fibre is said to enable triple play (and even quad play), why isn't Airtel doing so? Currently, I have 3 lines running into my house - 1 fibre for internet+landline, 1 airtel digital tv and 1 bsnl intercom. At least for their fibre customers, wouldn't it be wise and easier for them as well to provide IPTV through their own set top boxes? Why do they seem to insist on their DTH platform especially when there is a fibre connection?

Airtel had IPTV in the past, even with their DSL. I remember @Sushubh mentioning about it in the past. We don't know what it takes to run an IPTV service and why Airtel stopped providing it.

At that time on old adsl infrastructure iptv had a lots of bottlenecks. Sure they could do that now but why to do so when money is already spent on Airtel dish service. Plus OTT content is taking over so no way iptv is needed. Xstream stick n box is already there for digital tv customers. I think line would merge somewhere in future.

Reactions: Smh
I would take dth at an any given day because of its rock solid stability compared to IPTV.
DTH has great uptime compared to any fixed line service.

DTH and IPTV are entirely different products.
IPTV is a bundled service with your broadband but dth is independent of it.
It has advantage of serving remote places which is one of its main usp.
Airtel cannot ditch dth for IPTV because they don't have the fiber coverage for 90% of thier dth customers.

I'm not suggesting that they should ditch DTH at all since I realize that a huge majority of users don't have fiber. But for those households where Airtel has already taken the cost of laying fibre to the home, wouldn't it make sense to bundle IPTV? It would drastically reduce their cost of transmission. Also, if IPTV is done well, it has many more benefits than DTH. Just like how Airtel rebranded their fibre offering under xstream, maybe they could come up with something like xstream fibre tv. But yes, DTH can't and won't be disposed off for sure.

Airtel has some pretty bad experiences from IPTV.
Maybe they'll wait until Jio launches IPTV and then slowly test the waters to launch an IPTV service.
After rebranding, i guess there's more chance than before.

Except when it rains! 😉

I don't know how or why (maybe my location is good) but my Tata Sky dth works even during heavy rains 😀 At max it may go blank for 2-3 minutes but then it always recovers. Has been like this for years now.

I am one of the DTH hold outs, afraid to cut the cord because I feel internet is unreliable even though my BSNL FTTH has been mostly stable for the last 1+ year that I got it. If internet goes down, then all entertainment will also go down with streaming services. At least with DTH I have backup entertainment option 😀

^ 😄 Must be the area, mine is a semi urban area with lot of trees and other obstructions, so the moment it starts raining a bit heavily DTH goes. Was the same with Airtel DTH and now with Tata Sky. Also, if it rains heavily in my area, there wouldn't be electricity either so its not much of an issue. 😉

Yeah same here, I'd stick with DTH for now at least at my home in Kerala.

I think Airtel has launched IPTV 2-3 times already in past with different branding silently which never worked for them in terms of revenue.

Airtel DTH was so cheap compared to Tata Sky that why you would want IPTV from Airtel (back then).

I used to pay 12-14K yearly where my cousin was paying 7K hardly for the same set of channels. I was on TataSky and he's on Airtel.