Why can't Airtel provide IPTV?

djxtwicee

Hi, recently got a new airtel ftth connection (999 plan with 200 mbps speed). While fibre is said to enable triple play (and even quad play), why isn't Airtel doing so? Currently, I have 3 lines running into my house - 1 fibre for internet+landline, 1 airtel digital tv and 1 bsnl intercom. At least for their fibre customers, wouldn't it be wise and easier for them as well to provide IPTV through their own set top boxes? Why do they seem to insist on their DTH platform especially when there is a fibre connection?

igloo

Not just Internet.
At that time on old adsl infrastructure iptv had a lots of bottlenecks. Sure they could do that now but why to do so when money is already spent on Airtel dish service. Plus OTT content is taking over so no way iptv is needed. xtream stick n box is already there for digital tv customers. I think line would merge somewhere in future.

Reactions: Smh
I would take dth at an any given day because of its rock solid stability compared to IPTV.
DTH has great uptime compared to any fixed line service.

Smh

maintaining both iptv and dth doesn't offer much benefits economically.

DTH and IPTV are entirely different products.
IPTV is a bundled service with your broadband but dth is independent of it.
It has advantage of serving remote places which is one of its main usp.
Airtel cannot ditch dth for IPTV because they don't have the fiber coverage for 90% of thier dth customers.