Why broadband sucks in India...

I think TRAI should regulate broadband tarrifs

ya that is a better idea......nd make bsnl inc bandwidth too all ISPl will follow like mad then

trai is pretty much an advisory body and cannot really enforce major rulings... indian government has to take initiatives... bsnl and mtnl have to drive competition in the market. that is the sole reason they are there still. but sadly they too are now public companies and have to worry about profits.

I do not here on ronna dohna about Broadband in Bharat, I m here to tell u , by 2013 world tell , Bharat is fastest growing nation in World in term of Broadband

remains to be seen but it is certainly possible... trai has done a wonderful job in the mobile market. slowly but it has worked. we now need a similar 'revolution' in the broadband segment. cheaper rates. faster speeds... reliable access. and good customer support.

ya that is a better idea......nd make bsnl inc bandwidth too all ISPl will follow like mad then

seems like this is working if not bsnl then mtnl :urock:

Essentially speaking, that is their job.

They tend to put price ceilings on wholesale bandwidth rather than consumer/retail though - which is why we've seen a 90% reduction in the price of an STM-1 from 10Cr in the last couple of years.

I have been using Bsnl for the past 6 months before that i use to have a Tata communication broadband connection (which was a bad experience for me) .My job is currently related to much on Video communications which entirely depends on the stability of internet connection with a better routing of connection withing the bounds of India but for my knowledge i have seen, whichever company Internet connection i use is not entirely stable and a lot disconnection while online conversation. For my experience they should probably reduce the number of connections and increase the quality of their connection.

I have been using Bsnl for the past 6 months before that i use to have a Tata communication broadband connection (which was a bad experience for me) .
My job is currently related to much on Video communications which entirely depends on the stability of internet connection with a better routing of connection withing the bounds of India but for my knowledge i have seen, whichever company Internet connection i use is not entirely stable and a lot disconnection while online conversation. For my experience they should probably reduce the number of connections and increase the quality of their connection.

The amount of connections they have are fine - they have contention ratios of 1:28 which is well under specifications.

I think it depends where you are, but I fear that a significant amount of the last-mile copper is old and in need of replacement. Simply setting the speeds to be either 512k or "as fast as the DSL goes" and reducing the complexity and sheer amount of plans could be advantageous.

New Zealand has pretty simple options:
ADSL Lite (I think it's a 256k service)
Full-speed ADSL/ADSL2+ (as fast as your exchange/line allows, in some cases 8Mbit/s, others 24Mbit/s).

Data caps are put on the full-speed options of course, but it simplifies the offerings. If BSNL said of it's data plans "OK, we're going to just put maximum speed on all data-plans, so some people will get 3Mbit/s, others will get 7Mbit/s - the connection is just dependent on wiring and distance from the exchange", then things could improve.

They could still keep the 256k, 512k, 1mbit/s, 2mbit/s unlimited and night unlimited options as well, but it would make comparison between plans a shyteload easier, and might put BSNL in competition with... well.. us.

Here's my proposal for a half-way decent BSNL pricing structure. Currently, as we know from .:BB Standalone Plans:. and .:Unlimited Home Only:. it's a big mess.

Now, I have no idea how much BSNL pays for anything because it is a government organization... I could find out... but for the sake of argument, let's assume a basic rate of Rs200 per household per month for the wiring and so forth - add this to the following amounts:

ADSL Data plans - delivered at whatever the line supports (probably up to about 6 or 7 Mbit/s in ideal circumstances):
1GB +Rs50 (same price as current 1GB plan)
5GB +Rs150
10GB +Rs300 (same price as current 2.5GB plan)
20GB +Rs500 (same price as current 4GB plan)
+6ps/MB overuse (if they want to take that road - while it's a 90% reduction from the existing overuse charges, they would still make a very healthy profit per MB at this rate, and it hurts the consumer a lot less)

ADSL Unlimited plans:
256k +Rs500 (Rs50 cheaper)
512k +Rs750 (Rs400 cheaper)
1Mbit +Rs900 (Rs400 cheaper)
2Mbit +Rs1600 (A lot cheaper, more in line with MTNL Delhi)

ADSL Night Unlimited plans:
256k +Rs350
512k +Rs550
1Mbit +Rs750
2Mbit +Rs1200

End. That's it. Easier to follow, wouldn't you agree? This is all based on rough estimates and going very approximately by my own wholesale rates. BSNL may pay very different amounts to what I do, but what the hey, you can surely see my point.

If the government owned the landing stations, would the situation be any different? About customer support - The difference between the telecom and internet departments is staggering. Support for telecoms begs you to stay with their connection. And internet support says "So terminate your connection and take the competitors line, we dont care."

If the government owned the landing stations, would the situation be any different?

By law I think they would be required to be fair and even handed.

About customer support - The difference between the telecom and internet departments is staggering. Support for telecoms begs you to stay with their connection.
And internet support says "So terminate your connection and take the competitors line, we dont care."

I say, why not just provide a decent service in the first place? Then you won't have to have half the population of India serving the other half as CSRs 😀

The difference between the telecom and internet departments is staggering. Support for telecoms begs you to stay with their connection.

Don't necessarily agree, but I get your point.

The broadband scene in India is so friggin' pathetic, it makes me want to pass out till I happen to wake up in a world where India FINALLY catches up in the global broadband scene. Till then, I am going to lament the fact that the world's largest democracy has some of the worst ever broadband plans, speeds, and services ever to exist in the history of (present) humankind.

Such a shame... but I am hoping that the day will come when 2mbps will become extinct. Much like when Orange had just come to Bombay, and their rates for calls used to be Rs. 10/ min or something... ah, the 90s.

Don't necessarily agree, but I get your point.

The broadband scene in India is so friggin' pathetic, it makes me want to pass out till I happen to wake up in a world where India FINALLY catches up in the global broadband scene. Till then, I am going to lament the fact that the world's largest democracy has some of the worst ever broadband plans, speeds, and services ever to exist in the history of (present) humankind.

Such a shame... but I am hoping that the day will come when 2mbps will become extinct. Much like when Orange had just come to Bombay, and their rates for calls used to be Rs. 10/ min or something... ah, the 90s.

What kind of broadband speeds and prices would you be after? Which part of BOMBAY are you in?