Why broadband sucks in India...

What kind of broadband speeds and prices would you be after? Which part of BOMBAY are you in?

😀

For one, I've read quite a lot about Hayai, and I'd love to take it up sometime. The 2mbps with 4mbps @ night at 1500 or so (I hope I got it right- if not, sorry) sounds swell. I'd ideally love to have something around 6-8mbps, but at this point of time, I'm woefully broke, so I'm putting those wishes on the back-burner for now. After (and if) I get a fat paycheck from from some generous benefactor, I will happily go in for something spanking fast.

The thing is that India is a market waiting to be explored and tapped to the hilt as far as broadband usage is concerned. I don't get why ISPs fail to understand this... this country has the potential to become some lucky ISP's goldmine, but I don't get why the prices are so steep here. Or maybe I just not understand the intricacies of broadband usage in India.

edit: I shuttle between Bandra and Malad... have you got any plans for Malad yet?

😀

For one, I've read quite a lot about Hayai, and I'd love to take it up sometime. The 2mbps with 4mbps @ night at 1500 or so (I hope I got it right- if not, sorry) sounds swell. I'd ideally love to have something around 6-8mbps, but at this point of time, I'm woefully broke, so I'm putting those wishes on the back-burner for now. After (and if) I get a fat paycheck from from some generous benefactor, I will happily go in for something spanking fast.

It's 5mbit/s at night, but yeah. Next step up is 10mbit/s. Why should we have to stick to binary numbers? I don't know 🙂

The thing is that India is a market waiting to be explored and tapped to the hilt as far as broadband usage is concerned. I don't get why ISPs fail to understand this... this country has the potential to become some lucky ISP's goldmine, but I don't get why the prices are so steep here. Or maybe I just not understand the intricacies of broadband usage in India.

Yeah, the market is fairly painful and wholesale prices are just way more expensive than countries like Japan, S Korea, HK, Singapore etc.

We're experiencing pain just getting started, but I feel that it will be worth it when the service is launched and everything comes to fruition as planned.

Did you solve the 7star problem?

No. I was trying through both Tata themselves as well as directly, but talks stopped in February. Want to resume them as soon as I'm back in the country.

I have lived in London and used to pay 10 pounds (around Rs 750) per month for British Telecom unlimited broadband. My speed was 10 mbps

Yes, I too have friends and they use an ISP called Telewest which gives 10 mbps unlimited with no fair usage policy or the so called limited download per month in the UK for only 19 pounds per month, that too 2 years ago and he used to get a steady download speed of 200-250 kbps no matter what time of the day.

Yes, I too have friends and they use an ISP called Telewest which gives 10 mbps unlimited with no fair usage policy or the so called limited download per month in the UK for only 19 pounds per month, that too 2 years ago and he used to get a steady download speed of 200-250 kbps no matter what time of the day.

Unfortunately there are only 2 ISPs in the UK now offering high-speed with no FUP. I think one of them is Sky.