Why Broadband is called Broadband

avik

[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
Hi folks,Can anyone suggest why Broadband is called Broadband?

Bluegene

Regular
Regulars
Aug 31, 2005
shall i tell you why... ;)

coz it gives
BBBBBBBBRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAADDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR
Bandwidth
:p :D :lol:

right buddy..? :rolleyes:

avik

[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
Originally posted by Bluegene@Dec 28 2005, 09:24 PM
shall i tell you why... ;)

coz it gives
BBBBBBBBRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAADDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR
Bandwidth
:p  :D  :lol:

right buddy..? :rolleyes:
[snapback]37462[/snapback]
[/quote]

But theres BROADER than Broadband bandwidths.....

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Broadband is a synonym of "Wideband". These are engineering terms.

In engineering terms, any medium is Wideband if it can carry a "big band" of frequencies.

For example, in older days cables used for TV could carry only a few MHz of frequencies, that limited number of channels that could be transmitted over those cables. If you transmit more channels there will be a crosstalk and voice/video of one channel might mix into another.

Cables that are used today can carry hundreds of channels simultaneously.

A typical TV channel requires 6 MHz band. So any transmission medium that can carry frequencies from 500 to 600 MHz can carry 16 channels at max.

Another medium that can carry frequencies from 500 MHz to 1000 KHz (1 GHz) can carry much more channels.

A diagram of band usage in US is given here : http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

So Broadband is any medium that can carry large amount of information.

In digital terms that translates to any medium (cable/DSL/VSAT/....) that can carry large amount of data.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
broadband means wide "band". Band is a range of frequencies used for communication. Some communication methods such as FM use a few KHz above and below the frequency assigned to them. For example, 98.3 FM uses a few KHz above and below 98.3MHz to transmit their signals. Broadband uses the same principle except the the "range" of frequencies are quite wide. Thats why its called _broad_ band. It has no implications whatsoever on the "bandwidth" or "download" speeds that we get. The speeds could be 64Kbps and still it can be termed as "broadband".

avik

[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
You guys know so much.... I am probably the Oldest and the DUMBEST in the forum... So I am looking for the dumbest answers... Just Like Me.....

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
We just happen to be engineers. And like any other profession, insider terms do not make any sense to general public.

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?...ch&va=bandwidth

This page does a better job.

Bandwidth has now become a standard English term. In US its common to say "Does your team has enough management Bandwidth to handle new project" In this sense bandwidth means capacity.