why are people still using bsnl fiber over their local lco instead of other isp ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Massivesiege
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 7,260
@varkey
dang, I thought it was only the data being unmetered because of the ipv6 traffic, i am shocked to hear that the global rate limits set on the connection is also not respected for ipv6 , this means someone can saturate the entire pon access network and are only being limited by the qos control on the olt of the lco ?

i am gonna go for the BSNL 594 plan and see if it works for me, I still haven't been able to source a good GPON router as the lco wants something that is dual model (EPON/gpon) and i want something in bridge mode so i can get my bpi r64 (when it comes) running openwrt handle the pppoe and vlan

the zte f601 i found on AliExpress has no infromation about supporting bridge mode and even the technical document i can find makes no mention of bridge mode or if it even capable for dual mode on the pon interface

the other option is this

As you mentioned in the earlier thread the HG8120C can switch modes via cli on the pon interface and does support bridge mode , the idiotic lco agreed that the manufacturer of the ont does not matter as long as it can do vlan, when i asked him more information why he think Huawei won't work with his olt

@varkey

i meant the above HG8310m with the single gigabit Ethernet port as after the current revelation having Gigabit Ethernet is important 🙂

@PawanKumar @JB700 @vishalrao

for the same price as kerala vision 599 unlimited after tax and cable included, I can get the bsnl 594 rs plan with 20mbps and 200gb limit.

the 749 and 868 rs plan with 4 and 5GB a day fup plan are just brain numbing to even look at let alone comprehend why they even exist and i don't understand why anyone would opt for them
Its understandanle bsnl daily fup plans are stupid. But keralavision is no better. Their facebook handles are all flooded with complaints regarding packet loss speed drops.
They are the masters in overprovisoning what they have.ateleast u got what they promise u most of the times much more even peak times with bsnl

@Massivesiege Yeah, as there is no speed cap, users can definitely saturate the entire pipe 🙏 Luckily haven't faced much of an issue so far.

ZTE F601 does support bridge mode, it doesn't have any specific option, but if you do not create any WAN profiles, its in bridge mode by default, Both HG8310M or HG8010H support only bridge mode, there is absolutely no config on the ONT side, it doesn't support routed mode, so you cannot configure PPPoE on these.

However I don't think you can change the mode in any of the above models, it will work only in the mode they claim. I have an HG8010H and the CLI options to change the mode doesn't work on it.

I am aware of only Huawei HG8120C to support dual mode (there are versions without GE port as well, so do check that)

Last edited:
@varkey
thanks for all the information, the GE port has suddenly become very important to me from what you have said about ipv6, so i want to make sure i get one with that, already feel like an idiot for not getting the one from you when offered and listening to the moronic LCO idiot who said Huawei won't work

if anyone has a GPON model with a gigabit ethernet port for sale with shipping to kerala please message me

I have BSNL, Kerala Vision and DWAN available in my area (through the same LCO), and I'd choose BSNL any day over Kerala Vision. I had shared my initial experience in Kerala Vision Broadband FTTH - User Experience | Kerala Vision, however that was during the peak lockdown surge in traffic and things have definitely improved now.

Yeah I can affirm nothing much has changed, even 5 months later. If I could, I'd place a huge banner on top of your post advising people how the current state is still the same. 😐