Why am i seeing high speed on speedtests but very low IRL?

Are you facing similar issue?

• Total voters
ISP
Mtnl, Jio, Vodafone
I am new to the forum before this i was a creeper and sort of lurked on the forum when looking into ISPs.
Now to the question:
Back story-
I a few months ago got a JioFi with a SIM which belonged to my family member.
I did a small recharge at first to see the speeds as my family member said it was too slow but to my surprise i was getting 10-16 Mbps and that led me to do an expensive recharge which had no daily FUP as i hate the daily FUP schemes.
I esp got it because i was going to be re-downloading some huge AAA games from Origin and Steam and to my surprise the speed i started getting were 11-12 Kbps and this has not improved despite having talked to customer care thrice and it has now been a month.
With two months left before all the data which is close to 70 GB will go to waste i am looking for solutions that are real solution not those which come up on doing a Google search leading to paid VPN or rubbish that i can't do because those setting aren't changeable on my JioFi.
Que - When i do speedtests on windows which is so slow that most speed test site don't even open except for Fast.com on which i get 130 Kbps but others[includes android apps speedtest, TRAI, Netvelocity etc] show 15 Mbps and 5 Mbps when the IRL speed is nowhere near that anywhere not on Netflix not on Google Play, Youtube, Amazon Prime, Steam, Origin, UPlay, Torrents, chrome downloads.
I feel throttling is involved but reducing speeds to 130 Kbps is just ridiculous.
I was pretty pissed off but now i have calmed down and accepted the close to Rs. 1000 loss and i can assure Jio is not something i will use anymore and stick to my MTNL.

do a speedtest on www.fast.com for reference. speedtest.net results are heavily biased

also... isps have a lot of incentive to prioritize traffic to speedtest.net type sites so that they can show the customers that they are getting proper speeds. this is why speed test results do not give you a clear indication of your actual connection speed.

@dextermorgan Getting 130 kbps

@Sushubh i am not running VPN on JioFi and neither on any of the devices but i do have VPN and even if i use it the speed remains same.

On a different note i am very impressed by this forum and esp. the Rules which keep this forum clean.

Wow posts get buried here really fast.

@dextermorgan Getting 130 kbps

@Sushubh i am not running VPN on JioFi and neither on any of the devices but i do have VPN and even if i use it the speed remains same.

On a different note i am very impressed by this forum and esp. the Rules which keep this forum clean.
are you getting those 10 mbps speeds on other sites like youtube? or just on speedtest? if its just on speedtest sites, then you might just have to accept that there are many jio users in your area and you just have to call jio and ask them install more towers

I am not surprised seeing this. Dongles/mobile data usually fluctuates so having a variable speed is expected and in no means a replacement to dedicated internet line. Also throttling speed is quite common and a known practice by mobile carriers as they don't really have a speed cap for every user they tend to cap large file download speeds to free up the network for other users in non-congestion time. And in congestion time your download speed would be slim.

Speedtests, youtube, etc are small bursts of downloads so they will always run smoothly and shouldn't be a problem at all even in moderate congestion time.

If you really think Jio is only throttling you speed on steam downloads try downloading a test file of various size(s) this will also tell you if your HTTP download speed is throttled only after a certain size or something. Could help you understand a certain pattern.

Test files from various locations and various sizes
Azure Storage Blob Download Speed Test - Azure Speed Test
The LeaseWeb Network | LeaseWeb
http://speedtest.serverius.net/
https://www.linode.com/speedtest

@dextermorgan i am getting same speed i.e 130 kbps(total bandwidth download rate 12-13 kbps) everywhere just like if it was throttled. I have done every sort of download and test and came to the conclusion i am being throttled because i was getting good speeds a month ago. After that amazing speed month i thought i would use Jio for netflix and steam downloads but to my surprise the moment i started the steam download the speed reduced for 1.0 Mega Byteps data transfer rate to 12 kilobytes ps.
Waste of good money i could have used on some game or gadget.
I also own a vodafone dongle and it is expensive but the thing is it works perfectly fine and if i have speed issues they literally come with some measuring instrument a satellite dish of sorts to fix my problem and on the other hand Jio takes a week + a few more days to just finish taking in the request and does nothing.
I get 7 mbps from vodafone 3G i.e. download speed of ~700kbps and if and if it is throttle it still never goes below ~150 kbps.
Even my MTNL+Dolphin 3G is far superior to Jio 4G LTE.

Lesson learned is not to fall for Cheap Jio type things and stick with the big fish that demand excess money and want to make insane profits by overcharging but at least i get the speeds that are advertised.

P.S. I like the scummy thing that Jio is doing with speed test sites by putting their own servers and faking speeds. Only Fast.com is showing actual speeds.
P.P.S To anyone else posting replies : Please read the original post which details everything. The whole connection has slowed down to 120-130 kbps total bandwidth and is pretty much useless but speedtest.com and others except fast.com show wrong results.

This is just a theory but sounds like a glitch in their system whereby you're getting post FUP speeds i.e. 128 kbps even before consuming the allotted data. Try to borrow a sim from a friend/relative and test it out.

OP here:
After wasting my money i do not care about Jio and this is not hatred towards Jio just a consequence what all happened.
I see a good amount of people who are accepting 2-3 Mbps as 4G LTE speeds because they were in a situation like mine.
Funny enough after almost a decade + a few more years i am actually appreciating MTNL a LOT more.
Nowadays they even resolve issues faster at least in my area the only fault they do not provide Fibre or higher than 3 Mbps.
I am done with Jio and going to stick with Vodafone which has never given me any issues literally for close to a decade.
P.S. God damn i am old.

This is just a theory but sounds like a glitch in their system whereby you're getting post FUP speeds i.e. 128 kbps even before consuming the allotted data. Try to borrow a sim from a friend/relative and test it out.
I also feel the same; OP is somehow stuck on post fup speed in Jio system.

@Saifi2649 I never crossed my FUP not even close not this time nor the previous times and even if somehow i was put in post fup speed I had contacted customer care at least 5 times before starting this thread and it is because they do not allow me to post those email and phone conversations that i cannot prove to you how lazy the customer care is.
They do not care to resolve the problem and literally never read the mail.
Some info: i did not buy those 1 GB/day plans those do not work for me and i bought the straight up data limit pack and i had 60 or 90 GB i cant remember and i have probably used less than a GB because of those horrid speeds.