• Thread starter Thread starter viprit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1,736

viprit

I got banned!
ISP
Starnet
I have an Airtel SIM card and I have been happily using this number for the past 10 years odd. However, today, I sent the PORT text that will finally sever my ties with this evil piece of shit company.
Let me tell you what triggered this 10+ year old customer to port.
I got my SIM card in the 9th std and since I was a minor then, my mom bought the SIM card for me and it was registered in her name.
Fast forward to now, I'm a working professional, stay on my own, and pay my own bills etc etc. One fine day, my SIM just stops working, I take it to the Airtel store, they don't entertain me because the SIM is registered in my mom's name. That's fair. So I ask my mom to take the SIM to the store to get it replaced. Here's where the absolute fuckery starts.
My mother goes into the store and asks for the SIM change but they refuse to do it because her Aadhar details are not entered even though it wasn't mandatory at that point of time. Fine. She goes home, gets her Aadhar details and links her Aadhar. Now they tell her they cant give her a pre-paid SIM card and she HAS TO take a postpaid SIM. They then force her to pay RS. 250 and take a postpaid SIM, all the while assuring her that now that she has paid that amount and taken a post-paid sim she has free calling etc for the next three months. (dont mention anything about the rental rates).

What scam is this? Forcing to move to postpaid, must be.

Absolute loot!

Not related to this. But, my cousin was asked to switch to postpaid too, because he didn't recharge regularly when he was away from India. He had enough balance, though. That was the time before minimum recharge was introduced. Even with minimum recharge, international roaming works very differently these days. Airtel is known to do such things when there is a small discrepancy somewhere. Finally, my cousin just let the number expire and got another number.

Forcing people to switch to postpaid has become a common tactic by Airtel.

Airtel has gained more than 30% of the market and is increasing along with Jio. They are playing smart by eliminating low income group recharge customers who are smart and thrifty. Vodafone also tried to do this but more aggressively and hence have lost some of the market share to Airtel.

no wonder I've been receiving multiple calls from Airtel executives to shift to postpaid..My Airtel is not my primary number so I'm not going to give in..

I remember something similar happened with one of my neighbours with Vodafone, he lost his sim and when he went to get a replacement at Vodafone store they said the only way to get a replacement is by getting it ported to Postpaid.