• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 4,949

moindear

Internet addict!
ISP
Airtel, ACT
I am looking to buy a tablet from the USA (delivered thru a friend). I know that the black friday deals ended just recently but still I need to buy a tablet.One option is Blackberry Playbook (even though am not a fan of it) for 99 dollars.The better version of Kindle & Nook are 250 dollars (just a bit higher for me)Please suggest some tablet (deals!)

What will you mainly use the tablet for?

I was in the same mindset. Was planning on buying an iPad but didn't want to buy the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is just a few months away. So I bought a HP Touchpad (32GB) last week. Bought it from the US and had my cousin carry it for me to India. It's a nice tablet. Clear and responsive touchscreen. Does all of the basic stuff - video, music, email, chat, Skype video, etc. the browser opens all web pages in their original format.. no mobile formats here. The speakers on the Touchpad are really good and loud (Beats Audio). Although there aren't too many apps available. You can access most content through the web browser. There is also an Andriod mod for the Touchpad, which I will be installing in the next couple of days, which allows you to run Andriod Gingerbread as a second OS and install android apps. I like the Touchpad so far.. This is my first experience with WebOS. I'm having fun playing around with it and tweaking it. It is worth more than what I paid for it.

It's a product that HP discontinued. So there is little or no support for it. You will have to scout for deals. I bought mine from a person on eBay US for $210. There are people who are selling them for over $300 as well. You'll have to find one that is decently priced. If you want to spend less you could look for a 16GB version.It made sense to me for the price I paid. It's a 9.7" tablet with very good specs and I can mod it to run 2 OSs. Where will you find a 10" tablet in India for that price?

moindear said:
One option is Blackberry Playbook (even though am not a fan of it) for 99 dollars.?
Give a link to this offer!
Iam not a great fan of Blackberry and have never used it.( though secured emails is a must for corporate management staff)
I read the US reviews. it seems if you are a Blackberry phone user ,BB playbook works very well along with that. is it useful if we dont have bb phone /subscription??

HP clearence deals was cheap /good from a hardware view .
If andoid OS also installed, it is a good deal

Newegg.com - BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB Tablet TI OMAP4430 1.00GHz 7" Wide SVGA 1GB RAM Memory 32GB Storage PowerVR SGX540

@Sushubh The thing is that I want to buy some cheaper tablet, use for 2-3 months. Will buy a better one later!Thinking of buying Kindle or Nook for 250 dollars. Will that be fine? else thinking of going for blackberry playbook which is the cheapest at 99 dollars!

blackberry playbook is useless at least at the moment because it does not have an email client and it does not do blackberry messenger without having access to a blackberry device. of course it is not that big of a concern for most people. these features have been delayed several times. though they are likely to be launched early next year. just saying. 😛

i do not think you are going to find a 99 dollar offer for the playbook. if you are lucky, you might be. it is definitely not that cheap through regular channels. kindle fire might be useless here in india. because it is tightly integrated with Amazon services which are not going to work here in india. it does not have the official android build. it does not have the official google apps. the web browser is supposed to be not that good. might be fine if you are going to install a custom ROM on it. nook tablet might be a better purchase. but that is still 250 dollars. htc flyer is another option that you might want to consider for a budget tablet.

blackberry playbook is useless at least at the moment because it does not have an email client and it does not do blackberry messenger without having access to a blackberry device.

of course it is not that big of a concern for most people.

these features have been delayed several times. though they are likely to be launched early next year.

just saying. 😛

Yeah. Not looking forward for that for these features...I want to use a tablet for sometime to decide whether I can use these gadgets long term. Once am sure will buy a costlier one.

Is kindle fir tablet worth 250 dollars. If yes, will go for that!

----------

Playbook is for 99 dollars for employees. My friend says he can get that!

It's a nice tablet. Clear and responsive touchscreen. Does all of the basic stuff - video, music, email, chat, Skype video, etc. the browser opens all web pages in their original format.. no mobile formats here. The speakers on the Touchpad are really good and loud (Beats Audio). Although there aren't too many apps available. You can access most content through the web browser.
I like the Touchpad so far.. This is my first experience with WebOS. I'm having fun playing around with it and tweaking it. It is worth more than what I paid for it. 
Is it 3G/4G enabled? what is the inbuilt data modem speed? or you can use in wifi only? Can you attach a data card?

if you can get a playbook for 99 dollars. no better alternative out there. RIM should have some cool updates for it next year that would make it much more usable. my cousin bought two of these here in india for his clients as they were available for around Rs. 22000 which is pretty good pricing for the hardware specifications.