Which router allows multiple vlan tagging to a single port?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sameek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 7,330
And under VLAN number put 660. Choose tagged for CPU and the WAN Port (switchport 5).
Moment I did this, the PPPoE connection dropped.
I deleted that VLAN and PPPoE comes back to life

Is that a indication that Airtel is passing untagged VLAN on the bridged port? If yes, what should I tell them. I still have the case open.

Use iperf to stress test 5G before the return period for your router closes.
Amazon has already been kind enough once to order a replacement. Not sure I should be asking for a return again 😀

Moment I did this, the PPPoE connection dropped.
Post the screenshot of Switch VLANs and Interfaces after you do this.

This should not happen if PPPoE is working over untagged VLAN.

Your config should be like this :

image.png

Also
As you can see PPPoE connection has failed. I had to delete the VLAN from switch to come online the upload the images.
Also try deleting EH660 interface ... although can be a bug in openwrt ... head over to their forums for this.

If you have a NIC that supports VLAN, you can set your NIC to VLAN 660 and then try microSIP on your device.

Also try deleting EH660 interface
Deleted it, recreated the VLAN and again PPPoE goes down. Deleted the VLAN to come online

although can be a bug in openwrt ... head over to their forums for this.
Will do tomorrow. Let's see if I get any useful answer

If you have a NIC that supports VLAN, you can set your NIC to VLAN 660 and then try microSIP on your device.
Unfortunately no

I have decided that the new router that's on its way, won't flash it immediately. Maybe setup PPPoE on the stock firmware for the time being so that I get two public IPs. Once I get a solution in OpenWRT forum on how to overcome this issue, will flash it. In the meanwhile if you find anything useful, pls share.

Thanks!!

Deleted it, recreated the VLAN and again PPPoE goes down. Deleted the VLAN to come online
Does tagging VLAN 100 and 660 separtely work ?
For this you need to change the pppoe adapter to use eth0.100 as the parent interface ...

Does tagging VLAN 100 and 660 separtely work ?
Unfortunately it doesn't. Below are the screenshots of the changed configs.
Switch
Interfaces

But with these settings MicroSIP is able to connect to SIP Server.
When it dials a no. (say my mobile), it says session in progress but mobile doesn't ring.
When I callback the Airtel no., MicroSIP is able to recognize the incoming call with Answer/Decline option. On answering neither of the parties can hear each other.

But the primarily I am targeting to get PPPoE working first, MicroSIP can be looked into afterwards.

When I callback the Airtel no., MicroSIP is able to recognize the incoming call with Answer/Decline option. On answering neither of the parties can hear each other.
Known problem with NAT, install siproxyd from packages to overcome the issue.

Can you test WiFi 5Ghz stability on this router with openwrt for me ?

Known problem with NAT, install siproxyd from packages to overcome the issue.
Yeah, will look into it later. First I need to get PPPoE sorted. In case you are aware of any useful thread on siproxyd (like how to install and configure, what configuration etc.) in this forum pls share. Otherwise I'll start searching sometime later.
Can you test WiFi 5Ghz stability on this router with openwrt for me ?
Out of the devices I have, only my mobile is capable of connecting to 5GHz. I am connected to that band since yesterday. I didn't notice any connection drop. So, from the experience of 24 hours of usage, stability seems good. I saw your suggestion on iPerf tests, will take it up after I have fixed the current issues in hand.

Last edited:
OpenWRT has been reported to be unstable for 5Ghz on Archer c20 V5
This could be because the OpenWRT version you have advised is a RC version. Being a Release Candidate (RC) it's a beta version. Maybe PPPoE issue is a bug in this version. Even the 5GHz instability you are referring to.

In the OpenWrt forum, I have been advised to use the 19.07.7 stable version. It was released on April 7 this year. This suggestion was a generic one and was made before I reported the PPPoE issue about an hour back.

Update:
I re-flashed the router with OpenWRT 19.07.7. Since I'll return it soon, using it as my test-bed. 😀
The issue of PPPoE disconnecting (moment VLAN 660 is created under Network->Switch) is present in this version also. Let's see if anyone responds in OpenWRT forum.

Update 2:
@drtech I did notice a connection drop sometime back. Seems you heard it right, there is stability issue with 5GHz if flashed with Openwrt

Last edited:
@Sameek
Post in thread 'Possible to use the SIP/Voip from voice on FTTH with Freepbx or something similar?' Possible to use the SIP/Voip from voice on FTTH with Freepbx or something similar?
Here's a breakdown for siproxd on luci .. it might help you once you get both things working.
I did notice a connection drop sometime back. Seems you heard it right, there is stability issue with 5GHz if flashed with Openwrt
Thanks alot !!
Was it just once or are the devices constantly being kicked off of the wifi ? Disconnection once a while is expected with all versions of OpenWRT since most of the drivers are pseudo adapted.

For the time you have this router, can you quickly do an iperf using your computer as the server and your mobile being the iperf client ? Will take 5 mins or so ! It'll show you memory leak as well as dissac requests under a high load circumstance !

(Please don't use iperf on OpenWRT to test the connection speed)

The issue of PPPoE disconnecting (moment VLAN 660 is created under Network->Switch) is present in this version also. Let's see if anyone responds in OpenWRT forum.
To correctly diagnose this you need a VLAN enabled NIC (most usb / onboard nic from realtek support this through realtek network utility) before contacting airtel or OpenWRT .. since many users have successfully achieved full bridge connection without much hassle

Was it just once or are the devices constantly being kicked off of the wifi ?
Just once. It was able to re-connect immediately. Not constantly being kicked out
For the time you have this router, can you quickly do an iperf using your computer as the server and your mobile being the iperf client ?
The Amazon guy replaced it today morning, before I saw your reply. I will flash it with Openwrt once I get some useful info on how to get the PPPoE working. Don't want to rush now 😀 . Actually I couldn't re-flash it with Stock firmware after I had flashed it with Openwrt. None of the steps mentioned in rigaacci.org worked. So will be able to carry-out the iperf tests once I flash it with openwrt.

To correctly diagnose this you need a VLAN enabled NIC (most usb / onboard nic from realtek support this through realtek network utility) before contacting airtel or OpenWRT .. since many users have successfully achieved full bridge connection without much hassle
Don't know what's the problem with my setup. Unfortunately don't have a NIC. Do you have any model in mind which is VLAN enabled and can be ordered online?

Don't know what's the problem with my setup. Unfortunately don't have a NIC. Do you have any model in mind which is VLAN enabled and can be ordered online?
It'll be better if you buy a PCIe card having Realtek Chipset (RTL8111E) and use it in a desktop.

If you're looking for a USB NIC, I have this one Amazon.in: Buy Tablor USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook. Online at Low Prices in India | TABLOR Reviews & Ratings (bought back when AliExpress was not banned).

Use this for VLAN : Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility 2.0.2.12

image.png