Which one is better? ACT Junction Box or GX Box?

• Thread starter Thread starter riser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 24,432
ISP
Airtel
Hello everyone,

This forum has been of immense help! Thanks. 🙂

Our 200 Mbps ACT connection is down and we were told that the owners of the location, where our ACT junction box was installed, demanded ACT to remove it. 😕

So ACT has two options for us now:

1. They could install the junction box at our place for free and waive Rs. 50/month for the electricity charges. We pay commercial rates for our electricity usage.

2. They could install the GX box which would be installed exclusively for us and so, have to shell out Rs. 2,000 (one-time fee).

In the long run, which one would you guys suggest in order to have a stable connection?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have ACT 1 Gbps connection and they installed a Gx box for free. I suggest going for a one-time expense.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

This forum has been of immense help! Thanks. 🙂

Our 200 Mbps ACT connection is down and we were told that the owners of the location, where our ACT junction box was installed, demanded ACT to remove it. 😕

So ACT has two options for us now:

1. They could install the junction box at our place for free and waive Rs. 50/month for the electricity charges. We pay commercial rates for our electricity usage.

2. They could install the GX box which would be installed exclusively for us and so, have to shell out Rs. 2,000 (one-time fee).

In the long run, which one would you guys suggest in order to have a stable connection?

Thanks in advance!
we have two junction boxes in my apartment and they pay lot more than 50rs per month. more like 150rs per month

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to write, alfiabraham and dextermorgan. Much appreciated. 🙂

@alfiabraham: So how much did you have pay to get your 1 Gbps connection? Installation and GX box was free? Thank you.

Am I right to assume that you have no issues with your connection since getting the GX box. 😊

@dextermorgan: Since you have the junction box, do your neighbors get their connection from your box? Just wondering if a lot of wires go from your box and whether ACT employees visit your place when there's an issue. 🤔

Thank you again, guys!

Upvote 0
So when I had an Act connection earlier, the ethernet cable to my place came from a neighbour's terrace. It appeared like they terminate the fiber at this "junction box", and distribute the connection to other customers using a managed switch.

I've not climbed onto the neighbours terrace to verify, but I suspect there to be a fiber termination device, managed switch and power backup equipment. This would most likely consume 20-30 watt which means about 20 units of electricity per month and would cost you approx Rs 150.

So I wouldn't agree for a junction box connected to my electric connection for a mere Rs 50 per month. Unless they can show the avg power consumption is under 10w with all ports connected.

In case of my neighbour who had the box installed, it was on the terrace of a multi storey building, and there's definitely one cable per each customer which would be going out, in addition to the incoming cable. Plus the Act technician needs access to the box for maintenance and customer onboarding/offboarding.

Upvote 0
First thing i received Rs.100 per month but trust me actual power consumption is much more if all 8 connection are activated.
Secondly it would be hassle to adjust the charges from rental each month. You have to remind them every month.
Also this charge would be deducted from total amount after tax. I expected it to be before gst. Weird billing and practices.

ACT email support doesn't work at all. Try it.
Good Luck for that gx box also. That Rs.2000 is one time installation charge gst would be billed in next month amount.
Also once you surrender the connection they'll ask for box back. So 2k down the drain.
Ask the previous junction box place owner ... he'd tell you how much PITA Act is.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies, Varkey and Igloo. You guys have made it a no brainer.. 🙂

All things considered, getting the GX box looks like the best option out there even though, like igloo mentioned, that Rs. 2000 is going down the drain. 😢

My only hope is that the GX box provides a pretty stable service without any issues.

The reps at ACT want Rs. 2200 and not 2000! 🙁

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to write, alfiabraham and dextermorgan. Much appreciated. 🙂

@alfiabraham: So how much did you have pay to get your 1 Gbps connection? Installation and GX box was free? Thank you.

Am I right to assume that you have no issues with your connection since getting the GX box. 😊

@dextermorgan: Since you have the junction box, do your neighbors get their connection from your box? Just wondering if a lot of wires go from your box and whether ACT employees visit your place when there's an issue. 🤔

Thank you again, guys!

I paid one month rental (2999 + tax = 3539) and onetime installation charges of 2000 /-. Yes, there is no issue with the connection.

Upvote 0
@riser You wouldn't notice much of a difference for a single user or a single download. A 1 Gbps connection maybe makes more sense if you have multiple users using the internet and would allow them to download files simultaneously from multiple sources without saturating the link.

A single download would most likely not reach that speed. Hehe 😀

Upvote 0
Thanks! So tempted to get the 1 Gbps connection!

How fast can you download a file on IDM? 100 MB/sec? 😘
Im on 100mbps plan and I do touch 9~10MBps with IDM and from youtube. I guess if you have gigabit enabled lan port on your router/pc and a fast SSD, you'll be able to touch the advertised speeds.

however as above poster mentioned it, Its usually IT companies and other commercial users who lease this gigabit fiber use

Upvote 0
@riser You wouldn't notice much of a difference for a single user or a single download. A 1 Gbps connection maybe makes more sense if you have multiple users using the internet and would allow them to download files simultaneously from multiple sources without saturating the link.

A single download would most likely not reach that speed. Hehe 😀

True. Thank you for mentioning the use-case scenario and the reality check! 👍😀

But pretty sure you'd get close to 100 MB/sec if you're on LAN. (At least a total of 100+ MB/s if you download multiple files on IDM) 🤔

I get around 33 MB/s on our 250 Mbps, so..!

Back to topic! Our plan was due for renewal but didn't pay because of this chaos and have told them that we'll pay up once the GX Box is installed.

They call rarely, promise to fix everything and then nothing happens! 😒

What's the best way to get them to do it asap? Not able to reach Chennai Nodal Office on the phone and talking someone at 9121212121 is pointless! 😢

Upvote 0
Im on 100mbps plan and I do touch 9~10MBps with IDM and from youtube. I guess if you have gigabit enabled lan port on your router/pc and a fast SSD, you'll be able to touch the advertised speeds.

however as above poster mentioned it, Its usually IT companies and other commercial users who lease this gigabit fiber use

You're right. As long as we have the hardware, we should be maxing the download speeds, at least theoretically..

Thanks dextermorgan! 🙂

Upvote 0
The point I was trying to make is that its not just things on our side which controls the final throughput that you'd get. When it comes to gigabit speeds, there are multiple factors which can affect the speed.

1. Even though the ISP claims its 1 Gbps, at least for normal consumer broadband connections, its not dedicated to you, its shared with multiple users. ACT and most other ISPs use GPON for last mile connectivity. The max throughput of a GPON link is 2.5 Gbps downstream and 1.25 Gbps upstream, this is shared with all the users sharing the same link. GPON can easily have split ratios of 1:32 or even higher, that means 32 other users share the same 2.5 Gbps.

2. The remote server should be capable of delivery the file/content at 1 Gbps, and again here too its not just one user accessing that same file from the server at one point.

3. The remote servers location, peering arrangements, local/international traffic and things like that would matter. Say content from Google or Netflix might have better throughput. Say you try to download a file from an international server, you might not get anywhere close to full gigabit speeds.

4. At gigabit speeds even your router's performance would matter, it should be capable of doing gigabit NAT. Although many routers would come with a gigabit port, it need not necessarily support gigabit throughput WAN --> LAN.

5. For consumer 1 Gbps connections, ISPs most definitely limit you indirectly. A speedtest might be whitelisted and could show higher speeds, but when you actually try to use, you might end up being capped by the ISP.

I have a Spectra 1 Gbps connection, and having used it, unless you have many users, in realistic use cases you would never really achieve the full 1 Gbps.

Sure, if you want to just see a graph showing close to 1 Gbps you can achieve that. I put a 5 GB test file from DigitalOcean Bangalore for download, with 12 threads and I got this.

Code:
[root@varkey-minipc ~]# vnstat -l
Monitoring enp2s0...    (press CTRL-C to stop)

rx:   734.36 Mbit/s 62097 p/s          tx:     7.56 Mbit/s 14534 p/s^C

enp2s0  /  traffic statistics

rx         |       tx
--------------------------------------+------------------
  bytes                     7.54 GiB  |       82.31 MiB
          max          807.07 Mbit/s  |     8.18 Mbit/s
      average          687.16 Mbit/s  |     7.33 Mbit/s
          min          561.35 Mbit/s  |     6.39 Mbit/s
  packets                    5345544  |         1287592
          max              68239 p/s  |       15621 p/s
      average              58103 p/s  |       13995 p/s
          min              47467 p/s  |       12150 p/s
  time                  1.53 minutes

[root@varkey-minipc ~]#

This is with a 5 GB test file from Digital Ocean New York, 10 threads

Code:
[root@varkey-minipc ~]# vnstat -l
Monitoring enp2s0...    (press CTRL-C to stop)

rx:   161.55 Mbit/s 13665 p/s          tx:     1.73 Mbit/s  3310 p/s^C

enp2s0  /  traffic statistics

rx         |       tx
  bytes                     7.77 GiB  |       85.74 MiB
          max          326.03 Mbit/s  |     3.65 Mbit/s
      average          197.59 Mbit/s  |     2.13 Mbit/s
          min          120.69 Mbit/s  |     1.20 Mbit/s
  packets                    5515079  |         1335168
          max              27571 p/s  |        6372 p/s
      average              16712 p/s  |        4045 p/s
          min              10213 p/s  |        2312 p/s
  time                  5.50 minutes

[root@varkey-minipc ~]#

These downloads were all sent to /dev/null so it never had to go to disk either. Anyway YMMV! 😉

Upvote 0