Which Netbook Model to Buy?

• Thread starter Thread starter jeetut
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 15,403

jeetut

ISP
airtel
does anyone heard about olive laptops. its 3g enabled and costs like only 24000 last i heard is that possible.??!! please clarify if u have any info on this.

Does I-pad work with the office application? Nop..In my case I would want my device to have that, Thats a necessity for me.. It again depends on individual choices, so I would go with netbook.

Upvote 0
well meetdilip says he wants to watch movies, browse web and listen to movies.and yes there are apps for ms office and iwork.and yes it is a personal choice. personally i feel that neither a netbook nor ipad can replace a pc as they both lack functionality at some level. one can buy whatever he likes but one also needs a pc to compensate for the inadequacies of a netbook or ipad

Upvote 0
I would say I-Pad wont be a hit in India, Just because the wireless technology here is so behind than the other countries. Just imagine if am travelling and I want to browse Internet, It would be pathetic, so better buy a netbook/notebook and surf through photon or whatever ! am nt talking abt mobile internet here.

Upvote 0
I bought HP - mini 210(not sure about the model exactly) without an OS and then I installed ubuntu on it. Serves the purpose. I had a little issue with trackpad because they have made the trackpad like Apple's trackpad. I would say buy Asus because I have a lot of good reviews. If you buy it without an OS it will cost you about 2500 Rs. cheaper. for me it was about 15 Thousand.

Upvote 0
Well the trackpad doesnot have left and right mouse buttons, they are just embedded in the trackpad itself underneath the trackpad on the left and right lower side, so Ubuntu has problem detecting it, specifically symantac drivers for linux are not updated for the latest device. I am sure they will comeout with a fix for this soon though.

Here is a full review.

Upvote 0
I know! I like the fact that HP is ready to sell these with just freedos installed. Which means you can just install ubuntu/ ubuntu remix on it. BTW Intel has come out with their own version of linux optimized for its processors.

Upvote 0
I believe there should always be options like that. Without the OS. Gives people more flexibility.

the problem with that is obvious... china actually banned sales of PCs without any OS a couple of years ago (under pressure from Microsoft apparently) because it 'enabled' people to pirate Windows OS.

as long as they are selling them with a usable OS like any of the Linux distributions, i am all for it. but freedos? that is a clear indication that you are enabling customers to pirate Windows! 😀

Upvote 0
Even if they install Linux and give the computers people can still format the hdd and install pirated windows on it. Anyway Micro Soft has the missconception that it has the best OS in the world. I got 7 premium with my laptop , only reason I have not uninstalled it is because a substantial cost of my laptop is for the Micro. Soft. OS. I still use Ubuntu for other daily work and I actually prefer using it.P.S. - I am not saying people dont use windows, all I am saying is that the people are getting aware fast. Ubuntu is becoming more people friendly, things will change in the coming future. One more reason for people (like me ) to use windows is the compatibilty of Games with windows but if there are enough people on Linux the Game Developers will have to Open up a port for Linux.

Upvote 0
well linux is at least usable. with freedos you end up with a dos prompt. you literally can do nothing with it. with ubuntu (or any other distro) you actually give a proper functional working computer to the end user. you give him one less reason to call up your computer whiz nephew and install a pirated copy of windows on it.

Upvote 0
Well maybe they dont install Linux on it because they dont want to provide support for it. Dell ships its systems with ubuntu, but they dont do it for India, only for US. That is actually Messed up, I had asked the Dell CC to ship my system with their ubuntu distro , they said the option is not available in india. Also the system costs the same with Windows or Ubuntu. So essentially I had no choice but to get Windows and install Ubuntu through Wubi. Anyway for me I just formatted the hdd and install ubuntu on the netbook. It runs pretty smooth considering there is no need for resource hoggers like Antivirus programs.I think Asus has netbooks with linux installed as the default OS. I have seen them in Nehru Place delhi. They look pretty cool, that might be another option for Notebook. @meetdilip Well clearly you have to decide if you want to use windows as the default os. If so you should go for the Original Windows, its much more secure than the Pirated Version.

Upvote 0
they support freedos? try asking them how do i use the webcam coz i cannot get it to work in freedos! most of these companies won't even support 64bit editions of Windows especially if they are loaded with parts from obscure chinese companies. i had hard time finding a driver that worked for the Wi-Fi on my friend's Compaq laptop.

Upvote 0